Looking for a solid Introductory Statisical Mechanics textbook.

• Thread starter L-x
  • Start date
L-x
Title says it all really, I'm a second year undergraduate from oxford, and currently the textbook i've been using for stat. mech. is "Concepts in Thermal Physics", which was wirtten by my lecturer. I'd like (ideally) something a bit longer to work through suring the holidays, that would provide a complete introduction to the subject (in a similar style to Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and Griffiths's "Introduction to Electrodynamics").

Thanks,
Alex

Answers and Replies

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Reif's book from the Berkely Series is a reasonably decent text

Reif's book from the Berkely Series is a reasonably decent text
I've heard good things about this book. Although it is out of print, but you can find the international edition floating around. Reif's currently in-print book is at a slightly higher level, but is supposed to be very good.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I reccomend the thermodynamics and statistics book from the Greiner series. Because you have in the same book the necessary knowledge on thermodynamics when discussing the thermodynamical limit of statistical ensembles.

A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
2019 Award
Title says it all really, I'm a second year undergraduate from oxford, and currently the textbook i've been using for stat. mech. is "Concepts in Thermal Physics", which was wirtten by my lecturer. I'd like (ideally) something a bit longer to work through suring the holidays, that would provide a complete introduction to the subject (in a similar style to Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and Griffiths's "Introduction to Electrodynamics").
Try Part 2 of http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0810.1019

Reichl's ''A modern course in statistical physics'' is also very good, since it shows you the breadth of the subject.