Looking For A Solid Material Light Diffuser - Terminology?

In summary, the person is looking for a material that can diffuse light and be machined into a thin bar with a light source at one end. They are having trouble finding the right terminology and have come across cinematography light filter films. They are considering translucent plastics like polypropylene or polyurethane, but would prefer a more quantitative control of the exitance. They are also open to a more complex and expensive method, but are unsure of what to search for. The person also mentions some knowledge of non-imaging optics for illumination control, but admits it is more of an art than science. They request more information about the application to provide more specific recommendations.
golmschenk
I'm looking for a solid material that will diffuse light throughout it. In particular I would need a thin bar with a light source at one end that will diffuse light to all sides of the bar, however, I don't specifically need a bar as long as the material can be machined. I'm trying to search for some type of material like this, but I guess I really don't know what kind of terminology to be using and I keep ending up finding only cinematography light filter films. If anyone has any idea of the material I'm looking for or just the proper terminology of what I should be searching for let me know. Thanks for your time!

Science news on Phys.org
Do you mean translucent plastics? Polypropylene or polyurethane may work ok:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/

If you need quantitative control of the exitance, that's significantly more complex. Another good trick is to simply roughen the faces of a clear plastic like acrylic (with sandpaper or something).

Thanks, the translucent plastic *might* work. A more quantitative control would definitely be a plus. Even if that means it will be more complex/expensive. What would I want to look for if I were searching for this more complex method?

I know a little about non-imaging optics (of which illumination control is a topic), but all I know is that it's more an art than science.

It would be more helpful (here) if you gave some information about your application.

There are a few different materials that could potentially work as a light diffuser for your application. Some options to consider include frosted acrylic, polycarbonate, or glass, as well as diffusing films or sheets made from materials like PET or PVC. In terms of terminology, you may want to search for "light diffusing materials" or "light diffusers" to find more specific results. Additionally, considering the specific properties you need, such as machinability and the ability to diffuse light in all directions, may help narrow down your search. It may also be helpful to consult with a materials expert or reach out to manufacturers for recommendations and further guidance.

1. What is a light diffuser?

A light diffuser is a material that is used to scatter light in a more even and diffuse manner. It is commonly used in lighting fixtures to create a soft and ambient lighting effect.

2. What are some common materials used for light diffusers?

Some common materials used for light diffusers include acrylic, polycarbonate, and glass. These materials are transparent and can easily be shaped into a diffusing surface.

3. What is the purpose of a solid material light diffuser?

The purpose of a solid material light diffuser is to evenly distribute light and reduce glare. It also helps to soften harsh lighting and create a more comfortable and pleasant environment.

4. What terminology should I be familiar with when looking for a light diffuser?

Some terminology to be familiar with when looking for a light diffuser include "transmittance", "haze", "light transmission", and "beam angle". These terms refer to the characteristics and performance of the diffuser.

5. How do I choose the right light diffuser for my project?

When choosing a light diffuser, consider factors such as the light source, the desired lighting effect, the size and shape of the diffuser, and the material's properties. It is also important to understand the terminology and specifications of the diffuser to ensure it meets your project's needs.