1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking For A Solid Material Light Diffuser - Terminology?

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    I'm looking for a solid material that will diffuse light throughout it. In particular I would need a thin bar with a light source at one end that will diffuse light to all sides of the bar, however, I don't specifically need a bar as long as the material can be machined. I'm trying to search for some type of material like this, but I guess I really don't know what kind of terminology to be using and I keep ending up finding only cinematography light filter films. If anyone has any idea of the material I'm looking for or just the proper terminology of what I should be searching for let me know. Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you mean translucent plastics? Polypropylene or polyurethane may work ok:

http://www.professionalplastics.com/

If you need quantitative control of the exitance, that's significantly more complex. Another good trick is to simply roughen the faces of a clear plastic like acrylic (with sandpaper or something).

4. May 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks, the translucent plastic *might* work. A more quantitative control would definitely be a plus. Even if that means it will be more complex/expensive. What would I want to look for if I were searching for this more complex method?

5. May 19, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I know a little about non-imaging optics (of which illumination control is a topic), but all I know is that it's more an art than science.

It would be more helpful (here) if you gave some information about your application.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook