Searching for a Lost PhD Thesis on Black Holes

In summary: The first is a paper on how the area of the black hole should increase in proportion to the entropy in the box, which is a quantum phenomena. The second is a paper on how the generalized second law of thermodynamics applies to black hole physics.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
See title
The paper is reasonably old and was written as a phd thesis by (I believe) a man from china. It was basically the first paper on the subject and in it he effectively (from what I understand) dropped particles into a black hole, counting the information added, and saw that the black hole changed in size such that the information contained by the particles measured in bits of order plank length was proportional to the change in surface area of the black hole. I want to try to read this paper, but cannot remember the name of the author nor the title. Google searching, skimming the holographic principle wikipedia page, information theory page all provided no results.

If anyone knows the paper I'm referring to and would either link it, drop the name, or at least the authors name, I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
in it he effectively (from what I understand) dropped particles into a black hole

Nobody has an actual black hole in their lab.

I suspect you are referring to experiments where sound waves in a fluid are used to create a state which has a sort of "horizon" that has some similarities with a black hole horizon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_black_hole

As Peter points out, nobody has a black hole in the lab. So you know neither the author, nor the title, nor the journal, nor the date, nor exactly what the paper is about.

It will be tough to find.

Here are related papers about dropping a box into a black hole. The area of the black hole should increase in proportion to the entropy in the box. It's a quantum phenomenon, so the area can be thought of as being in Planck units.

https://qig.itp.uni-hannover.de/~giulini/papers/BlackHoleSeminar/Bekenstein_PRD9_1974.pdf
Generalized second law of thermodynamics in black-hole physics
Jacob D. Bekenstein

https://arxiv.org/abs/1511.03665v1
Bekenstein's generalized second law of thermodynamics: The role of the hoop conjecture
Shahar Hod

Last edited:
Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
But from the description the OP is looking for some sort of experimental paper.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Yes I should have specified I suppose... It is a theoretical paper. From what I understand it was the first paper that suggested the holographic principal (which it wasn't called at the time).

I've been on a physics history kick lately. Trying to look at some of the first papers on various topics. This one has been on my mind and I just can't remember what it is. I am fairly certain this specific paper was written by a Chinese man as his PhD thesis.

Vanadium 50 said:
As Peter points out, nobody has a black hole in the lab. So you know neither the author, nor the title, nor the journal, nor the date, nor exactly what the paper is about.

It will be tough to find.
I know that no one has a black hole in their lab... The premise of the paper is (theoretically) drop particles into a black hole, count the quantum information added to the black hole, calculate the changes in the black hole, discover that the information added is proportional to the change in surface are. I know I'm asking for a lot, I remember just stumbling on it back when I wasn't very interested in it, which is unfortunate. I can't remember where. I might have to rewatch some Susskind lectures, it might have been brought up in one of them or maybe not. I wish I knew. It's been bugging me for a while.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
The premise of the paper is (theoretically) drop particles into a black hole, count the quantum information added to the black hole, calculate the changes in the black hole, discover that the information added is proportional to the change in surface are

The classic theoretical papers on this are Bekenstein's; @atyy linked to two of them in post #4.

Likes atyy

1. What is a PhD thesis on black holes?

A PhD thesis on black holes is a research paper written by a PhD student that focuses on a specific topic related to black holes. It typically includes original research, analysis, and conclusions about the nature and behavior of black holes.

2. Why is the PhD thesis on black holes considered lost?

The PhD thesis on black holes may be considered lost if it is no longer available in its original form. This could be due to the thesis being misplaced, damaged, or not being uploaded to a digital database.

3. Can the lost PhD thesis on black holes be found?

It is possible to find a lost PhD thesis on black holes, but it may require significant effort and resources. This could include contacting the author or their institution, searching through archives or databases, and utilizing specialized search techniques.

4. What information can be found in a PhD thesis on black holes?

A PhD thesis on black holes may contain a variety of information, including a literature review of previous research, data analysis, theoretical models, and conclusions about the nature of black holes. It may also include original research and findings by the author.

5. How can a lost PhD thesis on black holes be useful to scientists?

A lost PhD thesis on black holes can be useful to scientists by providing valuable insights and information about black holes. It may also serve as a reference for future research and contribute to the overall understanding of this complex and fascinating topic.