Looking for an introduction to eternal inflation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of eternal inflation and the search for good references on the subject. A recommended reference is a paper by Alan Guth, the founder of eternal inflation, and a textbook by Scott Dodelson.
IRobot
Hi,

I currently have to learn about the topic of eternal inflation, at a basic level for now, I am already familiar with the topic of inflation. I don't know what are the good references to this subject. I will try to start in Weinberg's book of cosmology (the one published in 2008), but is there a better reference?

Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
IRobot said:
Hi,

I currently have to learn about the topic of eternal inflation, at a basic level for now, I am already familiar with the topic of inflation. I don't know what are the good references to this subject. I will try to start in Weinberg's book of cosmology (the one published in 2008), but is there a better reference?

Thanks.

Here is a summary of eternal inflation by it's founder, Alan Guth:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0101507v1.pdf

Also, here is Modern Cosmology, a textbook by Scott Dodelson:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0122191412/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the first reference, clear and neat description of the motives behind inflation and eternal inflation ;) For the second reference, I may try to find the book at my university's library.

What is eternal inflation?

Eternal inflation is a theory in cosmology that suggests our universe is just one of many expanding bubbles within a larger multiverse. It proposes that the universe is constantly undergoing a process of inflation, where space is expanding at an exponential rate, and this process will continue forever.

How is eternal inflation different from regular inflation?

Regular inflation refers to the rapid expansion of the universe that occurred shortly after the Big Bang. It explains the uniformity and flatness of our observable universe. Eternal inflation, on the other hand, suggests that this process of inflation is ongoing and leads to the creation of multiple universes within a larger multiverse.

What evidence supports the theory of eternal inflation?

One of the main pieces of evidence for eternal inflation is the observed flatness of our universe. Inflation theory predicts that the universe should be flat, and this has been confirmed by cosmic microwave background radiation measurements. Additionally, the theory of eternal inflation helps to explain the origin of structure and the distribution of matter in our universe.

What are the implications of eternal inflation?

If eternal inflation is true, it would mean that our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes within a larger multiverse. This has profound implications for our understanding of the universe and the role of humanity within it. It also raises questions about the possibility of other forms of life existing in other universes.

Are there any criticisms of the theory of eternal inflation?

There are some criticisms of the theory of eternal inflation, including the fact that it is difficult to test or prove due to the limitations of our observable universe. Additionally, some scientists argue that the theory raises more questions than it answers and may be unverifiable. However, it remains a popular and widely studied concept in cosmology.