Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Constructor Toy Set

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know of a toy set that allows one to connect cylindrical tubes (of somewhat arbitrary length) together at somewhat arbitrary angles? I looked at tinker toys, but Wikipedia said that the joints between tubes were discs that had holes bored into their edges at angles of 45 degrees only.

I want to create a mock up of something.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I was a kid, we played with Erector sets and Fischer Technic sets to make things. They're probably not exactly what you're looking for though.

Have you considered purchasing wooden or plastic balls and drilling holes to put your cylindrical tubes in? Certainly would be a cheap way to go and you would have more of a custom built model.
    Wood balls
    Plastic balls
    Aluminum rods
    etc...

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link. Somewhat obvious in hindsight I guess. :redface: K'Nex looks promising, although I haven't yet determined whether it is versatile enough.

Ah good old McMaster-Carr. I might have to go this route in the end. We'll see how dedicated I am to the project!

6. Feb 1, 2012 #5

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Might I suggest, bamboo skewers (you can buy in bulk and cut to length). Sharpen the ends and stick them into some soft spheres (olives?). Maybe you could use the polystyrene "popcorn" used as a packing material. For a smaller vertex you could use a hot glue gun. Other options, epoxy, duct tape, ...

Another possibility, use plastic soda straws and hot glue, or just melt the ends together with a lighter or weld them together with a soldering gun.

Or use soft wire, twist in a loop and then add as many twists as you need to join cylinders at a vertex, stick straws on the twists and hot glue or epoxy or just use toothpick wedges or other slivers to secure the twists inside the end of the straws.

Or... some other permutation you can think up.

7. Feb 1, 2012 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hobbie shops have styrofoam balls, squares, rectangles, triangles, blocks, or cut your own, don't know if that would work. Modeling clay might work as a custom made connector. Visit your local hobby shop, you'll be amazed at the stuff they have.

8. Feb 1, 2012 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking that too. They have wood dowels as well.

Otherwise, a more expensive route that came to mind was hamster habitrails.

9. Feb 1, 2012 #8
    I remember a set that had sticks and joints. The joints had 8 slots to put the sticks at 90 and 45 degree angles, but they were flexible plastic so you could really make just about any angle. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it.

10. Feb 1, 2012 #9
    My parents just got me something similar to what you are talking about... I'll look for the link if I can. It was awesome to be a kid again.

http://brightproductsinc.com/index.php/Executivity/View-all-products.html

Thought there would be more, but fun toy. I'm with everyone else and saying make it yourself with construction

11. Feb 2, 2012 #10

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I think I'm going to pursue the hobby store route on the weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook