Looking for Engineering Books (Chemical, Mechanical, Electric)

In summary, I personally deem Vogel's to be a standing authority on Pratical organic chemistry, inorganic analysis and the quantitative chemical analysis text is superb.
google
I personally deem Vogel's to be a standing authority on Pratical organic chemistry, inorganic analysis and the quantitative chemical analysis text is superb.

I was told to get Harris (analyt chem) but soon realized after my first course in analyt chem that book will be somewhat useless because it is too basic, too heavy to carry around and well as an introductory book its one of the best however it doesn't serve you once you finish those courses.

Vogel's is a reference, it is a small yet comprehensive encyclopedia of everything useful. I am sure if anyone who as used it will agree with me. Would you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, today was the first day of Gen Chem II and we need to do a book report. The report needs to be 7 pages long and we also need to write a report before hand about which book we have chosen to get it approved.

Since this is only my second Chemistry class ever and outside my major, I am clueless as far as what books to even look at. It needs to be at least 350 pages, I'd prefer no more than 500, non-fiction, it can be a biography of a prominant scientist, cannot be technical in nature, and obviously related to chemistry.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks.

I'm a physics student with a very strong background in math. Most of my courses up to this point have been highly theoretical, and include your standard advanced courses in QM, EM, and thermal - with organic, inorganic, analytical, and biological chemistry. The applications however, have been nonexistant, so I'd like to pick up a few engineering books to see some of this theory in action. I am looking for standard books that teach the theoretical and forumlaic aspects of engineering, particularly in mechanic and chemical. I seen my friends "engineering mechanics" text and they were doing things with rotational tensors and stress/strain formulas I have never seen in my classical mechanics class. Heat transfer also sounds like an interesting subject, this was very briefly covered in thermal. Lastly, how are the schaums guides for this purpose?

Thank you in advance.

My inquisitive nature gripped me when I read a brief history of time some years ago, since then I’ve read some of the other brilliant Stephen Hawking books. I’ve also enjoyed: How to build a time Machine, by Paul Davis, Why does E=MC2 by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw and, although in places I’ve had to re-read or cross reference, I’ve learned so much, with each book exciting my interest further!

A brief history of me!
Regrettably for me, I found little of interest during my school years, I did not realize my enjoyment of the practical ‘Newtonian’ sciences or my intrigue of the Sub atomic, I underachieved at school, which included been placed in combined CSE Science (much like the current GCSE BETEC science I guess). To compensate, I’ve certainly had to put so much more effort into achieving to match my colleagues in my professional life (that bit I don’t regret!).

Please recommend an interesting book to build my basic knowledge of chemistry and physics!
After reading about the recent excitement and discovery of possible evidence of the Higgs boson, and having just read and enjoyed: The Grand Design, by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow, I’ve come to the realisation that I have a gap in my basic knowledge of chemistry and physics! For instance as I enthusiastically read through the grand Design, I realized I need educating! i.e.: chemical elements, how do we go back, or perhaps to be more appropriate forwards, to form, from for instance the primordial universe / primordial elements more complex elements.

I hope I’ve made sense! I feel one of you guy’s, after having read this will say he needs to read ………..!

Last edited:
Hi everybody, i am an Italian student in a B.Sc. in Biotechnology. I did not pass organic chemistry exam so i would like to study everything again, better.
I have studied on Bruice but there is a problem: at the end of the book i din't understand the reaction mechanism so i only memorized them. I don't like memorize things, and i want to understand them.
I want to change book and i come up with these:
1. Wade
2. McMurry
3. Clayden
4. Carey
5. Hornback

In the written part of the exam there are only 6 reaction mechanism, so i don't actually need to be able to solve problems. I just want to understand reaction mechanism perfectly, without the need to memorize them.

Thank you and good evening!

Hello everyone. Similar to my first thread, I am now looking for some biology/chemistry textbooks. The math/physics/engineering book lists on this forum are absolutely wonderful. I really need a few people to help me pick out a few good textbooks for bio/chem which have lots of tough problems and teach with a lot of rigor. Particularily, these are mostly old books written by biologists of high repute. The books I am looking for are undergrad/grad level by the way. I have to purchase textbooks soon, so quick help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any good inorganic chemistry textbook which contains a lot of detail in terms of (1) the reactions inorganic compounds or groups will undergo and (2) the observations we would make either on the reactions of inorganic compounds or when we see compounds? I want to learn how best to 1) identify inorganic compounds on the (typically qualitative) information given and 2) predict the products of a reaction between inorganic compounds. Obviously there is no full or complete way of doing this in all cases but a good textbook is what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a book on a similar level to Jonathan Clayden's "Organic Chemistry" and Atkins' "Physical Chemistry".

Hello,

I intend to learn basic mathematics, biology, physics and chemistry next year in order to prepare myself to the university. When I say 'basic'' I mean high school level. I live in a third world country and I didn't learn anything at all in my shitty school, but I want to become a scientist anyway.

I already have Basic Mathematics, by Serge Lang. It looks awesome.

Could you recommend me books on the other three disciplines? I'd appreciate if the books weren't too big (because I have only one year to read them and I also have other things to study).

Has anyone heard of the text Fundamental Principles of Physical Chemistry by Samuel Maron and Carl Prutton? It's the text we're going to use for Thermodynamics I, Chemical Equilibrium and Chemical Kinetics, three courses which are collectively known in my school as the "Physical Chemistry block."

I'm currently taking Thermo I and it is a good book, neither basic nor extremely rigorous, it even includes a chapter on Stat Mech. What made me curious is that the last edition was released in the 70s, and seems like it went out of print in the United States long time ago, around the 70s or 80s. We use a Spanish translation which is still printed to this day in Mexico, by a local subsidiary of Wiley. I noticed it is kind of hard to find even on Amazon.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to hear if any of you has had any experience with this text or even heard of it. Saludos!

What types of engineering books are available?

There are a wide range of engineering books available, including chemical, mechanical, and electric engineering books. Other types of engineering books may include civil, computer, and environmental engineering.

Where can I find engineering books?

Engineering books can be found at various bookstores, both physical and online. They can also be found at libraries, and many universities and colleges have their own engineering libraries.

What is the best way to search for engineering books?

The best way to search for engineering books is to use keywords specific to the type of engineering you are interested in. You can also search by title, author, or ISBN number to find a specific book.

Are there any online resources for engineering books?

Yes, there are many online resources for engineering books. Some popular websites include Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Google Books. Many libraries also offer e-books that can be accessed online.

How do I know if an engineering book is reputable?

To ensure that an engineering book is reputable, make sure it is published by a reputable publisher and written by an expert in the field. You can also check reviews and ratings from other readers. Additionally, some universities and organizations may have recommended reading lists for specific engineering topics.