Looking for Equation that can describe both scenarios

• Thread starter JMac14181
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two different phenomena - rocket exhaust shock waves and traffic jams - and mentions that they can be explained using the same equation. The equation in question is not known and the conversation speculates on what topic it may fall under. A colleague mentions reading about it in a science magazine but does not remember the details. The article "On the Propagation of Shock Waves in Regions of Non-Uniform Density" by C.W. Jones is suggested as a possible source of information on the shared relationship between the two phenomena.
JMac14181
Scenario 1: Rocket Exhaust Shock Waves
A wave pattern forms on an exhaust plume. The wave is reflected back and forth between the fluid jet boundary, forming oblique shocks which resemble diamonds.

Scenario 2: Traffic Jams on an open highway
While driving on the interstate traffic comes to a halt or a slow down, then it picks up again, then slows back down. Forming a pattern. ----- - - ----- - - ----- - - (something like that, I would imagine).

I was told these two patterns can be found using the same equation or explained using the same equation (not necessarily found). And I cannot for the life of me locate what equation these could be.

Any help on what topic to look under or the equation itself would be nice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems quite ridiculous that a single equation would be capable of properly describing those two completely different phenomenea. One is supersonic flow, the other is traffic patterns; the only shared relationship between the two is they have some form of oscillating pattern.

Yes is does seem ridiculous. A colleague of mine said that they read it in a science magazine on an airplane and cannot recall which magazine or the basis of the comparison. I have tried to find any similarities possible, maybe some sort of fluids equation?

You may find the following article of interest. If you don't have a subscription that covers it, please let me know.

Ultimately it attempts to relate the governing equations for the behaviour of shocks when meeting a shear layer (such as at wing tips) to the travel of shock waves in traffic in non uniform flows.

On the Propagation of Shock Waves in Regions of Non-Uniform Density
C. W. Jones

Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 228, No. 1172 (Feb. 15, 1955), pp. 82-99

http://www.jstor.org/stable/99477

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest looking into the field of fluid dynamics to find an equation that could potentially describe both scenarios. In particular, the Navier-Stokes equations are commonly used to study the behavior of fluids, including gases like the exhaust plume from a rocket and the flow of traffic on a highway.

These equations describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in a fluid, and can be used to model the formation of shock waves and other complex flow patterns. However, it is important to note that the equations may need to be modified or simplified for each specific scenario, as the conditions and variables involved may differ.

Other potential equations to consider could be those related to wave propagation, such as the Euler equations, or equations related to traffic flow, such as the Lighthill-Whitham-Richards model. Ultimately, the best approach would be to consult with experts in these fields for guidance on which equations may be most relevant and applicable to both scenarios.

1. What is the purpose of looking for an equation that can describe both scenarios?

The purpose of looking for an equation that can describe both scenarios is to find a mathematical model that can accurately represent the relationship between two different phenomena or situations. This equation can then be used to make predictions and further understand the underlying principles behind the two scenarios.

2. Can one equation really describe two different scenarios?

Yes, it is possible for one equation to describe two different scenarios if they share similar characteristics or relationships. This is often seen in physics and engineering, where one equation can be applied to different scenarios as long as the variables and conditions are appropriately adjusted.

3. How do you determine which variables to include in the equation?

The variables included in the equation are determined by analyzing the two scenarios and identifying the key factors that affect or influence both of them. These variables should be measurable and have a clear relationship with the desired outcome or result.

4. What if the two scenarios have different units or scales?

In this case, the equation can be adjusted by incorporating conversion factors or using different units for the variables. It is important to ensure that the units used are consistent and appropriate for the equation to accurately represent both scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to finding an equation that can describe both scenarios?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the complexity and uniqueness of the two scenarios. In some cases, it may not be possible to find one equation that can accurately represent both scenarios. It is also important to note that the equation may not be applicable to other scenarios or situations.