Looking for other proof of expanding universe.

In summary: However, as time progresses, the particles would slow down due to gravitational forces. This would not explain the observed recession velocities of galaxies, which actually INCREASE with distance.In summary, the idea of an expanding universe is supported by various methods, such as calculating the distance of a Cepheid star and measuring the change in wavelengths of light emitted from it. Other evidence, such as the redshift of supernovas and the observations of cooler temperatures in the past, also support this concept. The misconception that the universe is expanding due to an explosion within space is incorrect, as expansion is the only explanation for the observed recession velocities of galaxies.
Drakkith said:
There is also the redshift of supernovas, quasars, etc. A very good indicator is type 1a supernovas, since they all seem to the same mass at the time of the explosion, their intrinsic brightness is the same. So the brighter an observed 1a SN is, the closer it is too us. This matches with the measured redshift of objects at that distance in accordance with hubbles law. IE we measure the brightness and redshift of a type 1a supernova and BOTH of the measurements fit our expectations and predictions. Correlating two different effects let's us be much more confident that our model is correct.
Only you forgot to add that brightness and redshift does not agree within available precision of measurements. That's the very thing that is behind the idea of accelerated expansion. So this effect can't serve too well as experimental confirmation of cosmological expansion.

I believe that apparent time dilation of highly redshifted objects is the thing that makes people more confident in cosmological expansion.

Space news on Phys.org
zonde said:
Only you forgot to add that brightness and redshift does not agree within available precision of measurements. That's the very thing that is behind the idea of accelerated expansion. So this effect can't serve too well as experimental confirmation of cosmological expansion.

I believe that apparent time dilation of highly redshifted objects is the thing that makes people more confident in cosmological expansion.

No, those still serve perfectly fine for expansion evidence. It just turns out that they are also evidence for an accelerating expansion.

Drakkith said:
No, those still serve perfectly fine for expansion evidence. It just turns out that they are also evidence for an accelerating expansion.
Given redshift of standard candle how are you going to calculate prediction for observed luminosity?

zonde said:
Given redshift of standard candle how are you going to calculate prediction for observed luminosity?

The same way it was done before we realized the expansion was accelerating? I don't understand how redshift of standard candles isn't evidence for expansion? If they are redshifted, then they are moving away, correct?

Drakkith said:
The same way it was done before we realized the expansion was accelerating? I don't understand how redshift of standard candles isn't evidence for expansion? If they are redshifted, then they are moving away, correct?

There are other explanations, but the standard model tells us that when it is combined with other evidence (the four pillars) there are few possibilities.

I need to start this next paragraph with an apology to previous contributors to this thread - who I thanked, and still do, most sincerely. However, I need to ask a related question: if we measure the redshift of an object (say a particular standard candle), and then re-measure it may years later, I would expect to see the redshift and distance increasing. Unfortunately, I understand that with current technologies this would take significantly longer than we have been measuring. An alternative approcah, using the timings associated with the light curve of a distant SN1a was mention and this sounded very promising. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any papers / evidence that this is being looked at. So to my question: is anyone familiar with work looking at the timing associated with the light curves of SN1a's (or other "standard" cosmological process)?

Regards,

Noel.

Chronos said:
The problem with the 'exploding' model stems from Newtonian mechanics, where low mass particles acquire higher velocities than high mass particles from an initial 'explosion'. This works well for a classical universe, where momentum is always conserved, but, is wildly inconsistent with GR and observational evidence.

Mind you, am not implying an exploding model, ony use it as the "intuitive" model that makes learning the correct model more difficult. After all, if your intent is to teach someone the correct model it is better to understand the barriers that stand in their way. If the intent is only to mock people who do not understand the truths of the universe as you do, then, well, I can't help you there beyond recommending a good therapist.

However, with that said, I don't think that even Newtonian mechanics itself is enough to discard an exploding model if everything at the moment it was given its initial velocity was exactly identical. There were yet no particles.

Last edited:
marty1 said:
However, with that said, I don't think that even Newtonian mechanics itself is enough to discard an exploding model if everything at the moment it was given its initial velocity was exactly identical. There were yet no particles.

How would you reconcile this with observations of everything expanding away from everything else? This would imply that we are at the center of the universe, would it not? Also, I believe there were in fact plenty of particles at this point in time, it's just that it was so hot and dense they were being created and annihilated constantly. If there were no particles an explosion would have done nothing, as there would have been nothing to expand outwards since explosions don't affect EM radiation. Wouldn't we then have to invent a way for particles to be created with their velocities?

Drakkith said:
How would you reconcile this with observations of everything expanding away from everything else? This would imply that we are at the center of the universe, would it not? Also, I believe there were in fact plenty of particles at this point in time, it's just that it was so hot and dense they were being created and annihilated constantly. If there were no particles an explosion would have done nothing, as there would have been nothing to expand outwards since explosions don't affect EM radiation. Wouldn't we then have to invent a way for particles to be created with their velocities?

Why does it still sound like you guys are arguing against an exploding model of a big bang when I am not arguing as a proponent of such? I am explaining the bias that must first be overcome in the new learner before non-intuitive expansion (for which you have no good reason for other than excepting it faithfully from observation) can be accepted.

Perhaps the better approach would be to actually build a model that follows incorrect thinking and show exactly the points where it breaks down.

marty1 said:
Why does it still sound like you guys are arguing against an exploding model of a big bang when I am not arguing as a proponent of such? I am explaining the bias that must first be overcome in the new learner before non-intuitive expansion (for which you have no good reason for other than excepting it faithfully from observation) can be accepted.

Perhaps the better approach would be to actually build a model that follows incorrect thinking and show exactly the points where it breaks down.

I don't know. You've confused me with your last few posts.

Explaining the problems with the 'exploding' model is not an affront without a volunteer to assume the role of the aggrieved party. What scientific basis other than 'excepting [sic] it faithfully from observation' would you suggest?

Drakkith said:
The same way it was done before we realized the expansion was accelerating? I don't understand how redshift of standard candles isn't evidence for expansion?
Well, expansion appeared as explanation for redshift. Therefore redshift is not an evidence of expansion.
Luminosity of standard candles however can be viewed as a test of expansion.
Drakkith said:
If they are redshifted, then they are moving away, correct?
This is the most direct interpretation of redshift. So you would expect that it will be assumed as a primary possible explanation even without any tests.
But on the other hand this interpretation of redshift leads to very exotic consequences and therefore I do not consider it likely.

zonde said:
Well, expansion appeared as explanation for redshift. Therefore redshift is not an evidence of expansion.
Luminosity of standard candles however can be viewed as a test of expansion.

That's ridiculous, you can't claim the 1st thing and then right after claim the 2nd thing as evidence. By your logic I could easily claim that expansion is the explanation for the luminosity of standard candles being what it is, so it's not evidence of expansion either. Luckily we get around these circular arguments by empirical evidence and making models! We say "What happens if we assume that redshift is the result of expansion?" and then do some math and make some observations. It turns out that every result so far has turned out to be in support of expansion. The distribution of matter, the CMB, and a multitude of other things only make sense if we view expansion as being correct. If you have a different theory and model that fully supports the observed results without resorting to expansion, feel free to publish it and then we can discuss it here.

This is the most direct interpretation of redshift. So you would expect that it will be assumed as a primary possible explanation even without any tests.
But on the other hand this interpretation of redshift leads to very exotic consequences and therefore I do not consider it likely.

The FACT is that we know several things that cause redshift. We can verify them in the lab. When we apply it to cosmology the result is that things are moving away from us. Using GR we interpret this recession to be due to the expansion of space for a number of reasons.

marty1 said:

Hmmm. Well, the error is in thinking that there is an explosion into empty space that had a center. I am always bothered when reading that the Big Bang came from a "point," which is probably not true.

I guess you could say that it appears from Earth that it is at the center of an explosion, but if you plot out the data for some star in Andromeda, or anywhere else, it also appears to be at the center. The Universe and the expansion are isotropic, that is they appear basically the same from every point. That's not consistent with the explosion idea.

You could also tell them that for many years (100,000?) there was no empty space at all in the Universe. It was completely packed with particles. The number of particles then is the same as now, but space got (much) bigger.

Lino said:
There are other explanations, but the standard model tells us that when it is combined with other evidence (the four pillars) there are few possibilities.

Do you mean reasons other than expansion for redshift, or do you mean reasons other than accelerated expansion for the Type Ia supernovae data.

By giving up spatial homogeneity, Lemaitre-Tolman Bondi universes can account for the supernovae data, but these models cannot "simultaneously explain SNIa observations, the small-angle CMB, the local Hubble rate and the kinetic Sunyae-Zeldovich effect (Bull, Clifton and Ferreira, (2011)."1
Lino said:
I need to start this next paragraph with an apology to previous contributors to this thread - who I thanked, and still do, most sincerely. However, I need to ask a related question: if we measure the redshift of an object (say a particular standard candle), and then re-measure it may years later, I would expect to see the redshift and distance increasing.

Not necessarily; for some objects, the redshift decreases.
Lino said:
Unfortunately, I understand that with current technologies this would take significantly longer than we have been measuring.

The PF thread is
George Jones said:
If we watch a given galaxy over a long period, then, at any given time, redshift will be given by

[tex]z = \frac{R \left( t_o \right)}{R \left( t_e \right)}-1,[/tex]
but [itex]z[/itex] will change over time because [itex]t_o[/itex] (for us) and [itex]t_e[/itex] (for the observed galaxy) both change over time. If we could directly observe this effect, it would be a fantastic way to test our models of the universe!

We are close to being able to do this, but, for economic and other reasons, such a project won't start for several decades. Once started, the project would take a couple of decades to start to get good results. From

http://arxiv.org/abs/0802.1532:
we find that a 42-m telescope is capable of unambiguously detecting the redshift drift over a period of ~20 yr using 4000 h of observing time. Such an experiment would provide independent evidence for the existence of dark energy without assuming spatial flatness, using any other cosmological constraints or making any other astrophysical assumption.
Also, redshifts of individual objects don't necessarily increase with time. Figure 1 from the above paper plots redshift versus time. The three red curves are for objects in our universe. As we watch (over many years) a distant, high redshift object, A, we will see the object's redshift decrease, reach a minimum, and then increase. If we watch a much closer, lower redshift object, B, we see the object's redshift only increase.

Roughly, when light left A, the universe was in a decelerating matter-dominated phase, and when light left B, the universe was in the accelerating dark energy-dominated phase.

Lino said:
An alternative approcah, using the timings associated with the light curve of a distant SN1a was mention and this sounded very promising. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any papers / evidence that this is being looked at. So to my question: is anyone familiar with work looking at the timing associated with the light curves of SN1a's (or other "standard" cosmological process)?

Light curves for supernovae are not the only things that are affected. Rates that photons leave objects are also dilated, which affects the luminosities of objects. This effect is not predicted by 'tired light' theories.

"Lubin and Sandage have used the Hubble Space Telescope to compare the surface brightness of galaxies in three distant clusters ... quite inconsistent with the behavior ... expected in a universe with 'tired light'. ...

This slowing has been confirmed for the rate of decline of light from some of the Type Ia supernovae used by the Supernova Cosmology Project ..."2

For the supernova stuff, Weinberg references

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0104382.

1 "Relativistic Cosmology", Ellis, Maartens, and MacCallum (2012)

2 "Cosmology", Weinberg (2008)

Thanks George. It will take me a while to get through this, but it sounds like just what I'm looking for. (Especially in relation to Cosmology by Weinberg.)

I appreciate that there circumstances under which the redshif of objects can decrease, and I am not a fan of tieerd light theories, but could you give me a couple of lines in relation to the dilation of photon rate (so that I will know what I am looking for)?Regards,Noel.

This is just a question I thought of reading these posts. Could the increasing distance between galaxies and decreasing gravitational tension between them lead to a non-linear increase in the time needed to travel between them--acceleration even though they are independently at constant velocity locally?

marty1 said:
This is just a question I thought of reading these posts. Could the increasing distance between galaxies and decreasing gravitational tension between them lead to a non-linear increase in the time needed to travel between them--acceleration even though they are independently at constant velocity locally?

What? I mean, they are already moving away with an increasing acceleration, and it's an expansion, so the distance increases faster than linear.

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
That's ridiculous, you can't claim the 1st thing and then right after claim the 2nd thing as evidence.
Not sure I understand what you are saying here. So let's see if we agree when I formulate it this way:
If you use some fact to arrive at hypothesis then you can't use the same fact as confirmation of your hypothesis.

Drakkith said:
Luckily we get around these circular arguments by empirical evidence and making models! We say "What happens if we assume that redshift is the result of expansion?" and then do some math and make some observations. It turns out that every result so far has turned out to be in support of expansion. The distribution of matter, the CMB, and a multitude of other things only make sense if we view expansion as being correct.
"makes sense" is subjective criterion and it is not exactly what we call scientific test.
You left out very important thing - prediction. It's not enough to do some math. It has to result in some predictions.

Drakkith said:
The FACT is that we know several things that cause redshift. We can verify them in the lab.
You mean, we know two things - recession of source from receiver and time dilation, right?
As there are no broad range wavelength converters, right?

Drakkith said:
When we apply it to cosmology the result is that things are moving away from us.
Yes, basically that's what I said about straight forward interpretation of redshift.
Drakkith said:
Using GR we interpret this recession to be due to the expansion of space for a number of reasons.
And that's the exotic part.

zonde said:
Not sure I understand what you are saying here. So let's see if we agree when I formulate it this way:
If you use some fact to arrive at hypothesis then you can't use the same fact as confirmation of your hypothesis.

Of course you can. You just can't use it as the only confirmation.

If I hypothesize, for whatever initial reason, that the universe is expanding then redshift is exactly the kind of thing we would expect. It doesn't matter if I observed it before I made the hypothesis or not. I make my hypothesis, make predictions, gather other evidence in addition to redshift through observations and tests, and then form my theory and model. If everything fits together and passes further tests and predictions, and no other competing theory can explain it as well and as simple as mine then it can be considered to be valid.

"makes sense" is subjective criterion and it is not exactly what we call scientific test.
You left out very important thing - prediction. It's not enough to do some math. It has to result in some predictions.

Exactly.

Drakkith said:
What? I mean, they are already moving away with an increasing acceleration, and it's an expansion, so the distance increases faster than linear.

What I am asking is whether you could be fooled into thinking you are accelerating if the time it took for light to travel between you and a reference point increased at a rate greater than would be calculated classically from your actual velocities you knew you left each other at some point in the past. Time dilation caused by the lower and lower gravitation tension in that empty space between you and the object you measure the distance to. Since the speed of the light can't change the extra time is expresses itself as a change in wavelength; in this case a red shift.

We interpret travel time as distance only because we know the speed of light is constant. If the travel time of light increases your only choice would be to say that the distance has increased even though it could be the time that is dilated and there is in fact no acellerative force being applied to either the source or the object.

What I am asking is whether there is any evidence that the amount of ambient gravitational field in an large empty area over a large empty space would cause a non-linear dilation of time as the area became less dense even though the objects vacating that region were moving at constant velocity. I think you would be forced to interpret the situation as acelleration if the travel time between 2 objects increased non-linearly even if the classical distance calculated from velocity over time was linear.

marty1 said:
What I am asking is whether there is any evidence that the amount of ambient gravitational field in an large empty area over a large empty space would cause a non-linear dilation of time as the area became less dense even though the objects vacating that region were moving at constant velocity. I think you would be forced to interpret the situation as acelleration if the travel time between 2 objects increased non-linearly even if the classical distance calculated from velocity over time was linear.

No, if anything there would be a blueshift, not a redshift.

Drakkith said:
No, if anything there would be a blueshift, not a redshift.

Even if I reversed my assumptions on the dilation? If the time between was less than the classical distance would calculated (more efficient to travel through space with less ambient gravity)?

marty1 said:
Even if I reversed my assumptions on the dilation? If the time between was less than the classical distance would calculated (more efficient to travel through space with less ambient gravity)?

I'm trying hard to understand what you are asking, and unlike Marcus or Chronos, I don't have enough knowledge and experience with GR and Cosmology to give you detailed and specific answers for all your questions. Still, I'm pretty sure that what you are asking is simply not the way it works. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge could answer it, as I don't feel I am knowledgeable enough to answer this without really stretching my basic understanding.

Drakkith said:
Of course you can. You just can't use it as the only confirmation.
And if you use it as the only confirmation then you can't consider your hypothesis confirmed, right?

Drakkith said:
If I hypothesize, for whatever initial reason, that the universe is expanding then redshift is exactly the kind of thing we would expect.
If you hypothesize that the universe is expanding for the very reason that we observe redshift then it is kind of ridiculous to say that redshift is exactly the kind of thing we would expect.

Drakkith said:
It doesn't matter if I observed it before I made the hypothesis or not.
It matters. Read about hindsight bias.

Sorry Zonde, I'm not going to argue with you any more. It isn't as simple as you are making it out to be. Redshift IS evidence for expansion when you take the whole model into account. Look at the whole picture, not just the part you want to see.

marty1, whatever point you were trying to make has become too illogical to even merit a comment. Apparently zonde has attempted to 'rescue' whatever it was you thought you 'discovered'. It's flat wrong, so, just get over it.

Chronos said:
marty1, whatever point you were trying to make has become too illogical to even merit a comment. Apparently zonde has attempted to 'rescue' whatever it was you thought you 'discovered'. It's flat wrong, so, just get over it.

It was a question. Questions cannot be wrong. Only your answer can be right or wrong.

Please allow me to simplify my question then. How can an observer using only the one way travel of light from a distant source distinguish between the acceleration of the source from a relativistic dilation of length and time that varies over time?

Drakkith said:
Sorry Zonde, I'm not going to argue with you any more. It isn't as simple as you are making it out to be.
To have any meaningful discussion we have to have some common base that we accept without doubt. In science this common base is scientific method.

Certainly you agree with that, right?

marty1 said:
Please allow me to simplify my question then. How can an observer using only the one way travel of light from a distant source distinguish between the acceleration of the source from a relativistic dilation of length and time that varies over time?
You want to compare absolute (flat) source in flexible spacetime with flexible source in flat spacetime?
Or are you talking about ordinary acceleration of source like with applied force and everything (and flat spacetime)?

zonde said:
You want to compare absolute (flat) source in flexible spacetime with flexible source in flat spacetime?
Or are you talking about ordinary acceleration of source like with applied force and everything (and flat spacetime)?

No, not compare, receive a signal and know how much each of those two extremes contributed to changing it from what left the source (one way).

How do I distinguish the effects of the intervening and changing (important part) curved space-time over vast distances from the acceleration of the source?

Last edited:
zonde said:
To have any meaningful discussion we have to have some common base that we accept without doubt. In science this common base is scientific method.

Certainly you agree with that, right?

Yes.

Can I just point out that the distance to redshift relationship is inferred, it isn't an actual observation.
The magnitude versus redshift is the best fit relationship and distance is inferred from this and other assumptions.
There is also an Angular size to redshift relationship, which fits non expanding euclidean space!
http://www.wissenschaft-in-not.de/kosm003e.htm

The magnitude, luminosity, angular size, and distance relationships all have their problems with assumptions, such as the magnitude being an average of luminosity in watts/area, which doesn't account for an objects shape.
You can't say redshift is PROOF of anything, the method of measurement used to produce the redshift is archive based, a comparison against other observations, it's relationship to anything else is inferred.

I recently read a paper that measured the velocity field for certain edge on galaxies, one small statement really stood out, 'on turning the slit 90° no velocity field was found' - WHY? Isn't the shift in spectrum embedded in the light?

The statement that expansion is the only correct model shouldn't be made, it is simple our current model, we have other things to investigate and bigger telescopes to build before making such statements.

How many people know what a parabolic caustic is?
How many people can calculate them?
How many people think light is parallel?, or as effectively parallel to ignore any angle?

marty1 said:
No, not compare, receive a signal and know how much each of those two extremes contributed to changing it from what left the source (one way).

How do I distinguish the effects of the intervening and changing (important part) curved space-time over vast distances from the acceleration of the source?
OK, will give it another shot. Accrleration is irrelevant in special relativity. This is generally referred to as the 'clock principle'. Despite some lingering controversy, that postulate appears sound based on experiments to date. Causality is another important consideration. In deep space there are only two effects believed to be of any significance - gravity and expansion. Everything else is too weak to merit consideration. You need a mechanism, and any mechanism outside of gravity and dark energy is not yet well received by the scientific community. Any effect due to variation in curvature of spacetime demands a mechnanism. Light passing through a large cluster, or void, in deep space is subject to the integrated Sachs-Wolf effect. Beyond that, you enter the realm of unicorns and magic.

marty1 said:

Hmm, I believe there can't be sustained acceleration for very long time. It requires some change in situation.

But if you want to know if redshift has some additional property that would allow us to distinguish one redshift from another redshift then we know of none such property and there is no reason to believe that there could be such a property.

<h2>1. How do scientists know that the universe is expanding?</h2><p>Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us. This phenomenon, known as the Doppler effect, provides evidence that the universe is expanding.</p><h2>2. What other evidence supports the theory of an expanding universe?</h2><p>The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also supports the theory of an expanding universe. This radiation is evenly distributed throughout the universe, providing further proof that the universe is expanding in all directions.</p><h2>3. Is there any other scientific explanation for the observed expansion of the universe?</h2><p>Currently, the most widely accepted explanation for the expanding universe is the Big Bang theory. However, there are other theories, such as the steady state theory, that propose alternative explanations for the observed expansion. These theories are still being studied and debated by scientists.</p><h2>4. How does the expansion of the universe impact other scientific theories?</h2><p>The expansion of the universe has implications for various scientific theories, such as the theory of general relativity and the theory of cosmic inflation. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the possibility of a multiverse.</p><h2>5. What are scientists currently doing to gather more evidence for the expanding universe?</h2><p>Scientists are using various methods, such as studying the properties of dark energy and mapping the distribution of galaxies, to gather more evidence for the expanding universe. They are also using advanced technologies, such as telescopes and satellites, to observe and measure the expansion of the universe more accurately.</p>

1. How do scientists know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed the redshift of light from distant galaxies, which indicates that they are moving away from us. This phenomenon, known as the Doppler effect, provides evidence that the universe is expanding.

2. What other evidence supports the theory of an expanding universe?

The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also supports the theory of an expanding universe. This radiation is evenly distributed throughout the universe, providing further proof that the universe is expanding in all directions.

3. Is there any other scientific explanation for the observed expansion of the universe?

Currently, the most widely accepted explanation for the expanding universe is the Big Bang theory. However, there are other theories, such as the steady state theory, that propose alternative explanations for the observed expansion. These theories are still being studied and debated by scientists.

4. How does the expansion of the universe impact other scientific theories?

The expansion of the universe has implications for various scientific theories, such as the theory of general relativity and the theory of cosmic inflation. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the possibility of a multiverse.

5. What are scientists currently doing to gather more evidence for the expanding universe?

Scientists are using various methods, such as studying the properties of dark energy and mapping the distribution of galaxies, to gather more evidence for the expanding universe. They are also using advanced technologies, such as telescopes and satellites, to observe and measure the expansion of the universe more accurately.