Looking for Problems in Classical Mechanics

In summary, this website has a huge selection of physics problems that are of varying levels of difficulty. They also have solutions so that you can check your work.
P3X-018
Hi,
I'm looking for som difficult and challanging problems in classical mechanics to solve. I've tried to search google but couldn't find any website with challanging problems. Besides I'm a 1. year student, so the math has to be on that level too (basic calculus).
So does anyone know a website or something similar where there are such physics problems? I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
P3X-018 said:
Hi,
I'm looking for som difficult and challanging problems in classical mechanics to solve. I've tried to search google but couldn't find any website with challanging problems. Besides I'm a 1. year student, so the math has to be on that level too (basic calculus).
So does anyone know a website or something similar where there are such physics problems? I would really appreciate it.
You'll find thousands of them here at this site, of varying levels of difficulty, with answers to boot! Pick a few, and no fair cheating!

PhanthomJay said:
You'll find thousands of them here at this site, of varying levels of difficulty, with answers to boot! Pick a few, and no fair cheating!
What do you mean? Are you talking about older threads? Otherwise I can't seem to find what you were talking about.

P3X-018 said:
What do you mean? Are you talking about older threads? Otherwise I can't seem to find what you were talking about.
Yes, why not?

You could also look at problems you have done throughout your course and use them as guidelines for making up your own.

arildno said:
Yes, why not?
Because I was looking for specific topics. And the threads are not always about the wanted topic, and in addition they are not always at the wanted difficulity level.
But Checkfate's idea sounds good.
Besides I found that MIT OpenCourseWare have assignments for the curses online, that should keep me busy for a little while.

The idea of this, is that I want to have a real good understanding of the theory. Even though you can understand the theory easilly, there are always interesting questions about that topic that may never think of, when you just read about the stuff. But such questions may arrive when you are solving problems or so.
And my textbook ("Elements of Newtonian Mechanics") isn't really detailed about the topics, it concentrates more on the math than on the real physics.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of physical systems at a macroscopic scale. It deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces, and is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Why is it important to look for problems in classical mechanics?

Looking for problems in classical mechanics is important because it allows us to identify and understand potential limitations or discrepancies in our understanding of the laws governing motion. By finding and addressing these problems, we can improve our understanding of the physical world and make more accurate predictions about the behavior of objects.

3. How do scientists look for problems in classical mechanics?

Scientists look for problems in classical mechanics through a process of observation, experimentation, and theoretical analysis. They may observe real-world phenomena, conduct experiments in controlled settings, or use mathematical models to identify discrepancies or inconsistencies in our current understanding of classical mechanics.

4. What are some common problems found in classical mechanics?

Some common problems found in classical mechanics include discrepancies between theoretical predictions and experimental results, limitations of classical mechanics in describing very small or very fast objects, and the need for further refinement or modification of existing theories to account for new observations.

5. How are problems in classical mechanics solved?

Problems in classical mechanics are often solved through a combination of experimental data, theoretical models, and mathematical calculations. Scientists may also collaborate with others in the field to discuss and test potential solutions, or use new technologies and techniques to gather more accurate data and refine existing theories.