1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for Problems in Classical Mechanics

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    I'm looking for som difficult and challanging problems in classical mechanics to solve. I've tried to search google but couldn't find any website with challanging problems. Besides I'm a 1. year student, so the math has to be on that level too (basic calculus).
    So does anyone know a website or something similar where there are such physics problems? I would really appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll find thousands of them here at this site, of varying levels of difficulty, with answers to boot! Pick a few, and no fair cheating!
  4. Nov 9, 2006 #3
    What do you mean? Are you talking about older threads? Otherwise I can't seem to find what you were talking about.
  5. Nov 9, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, why not?
  6. Nov 9, 2006 #5
    You could also look at problems you have done throughout your course and use them as guidelines for making up your own.
  7. Nov 9, 2006 #6
    Because I was looking for specific topics. And the threads are not always about the wanted topic, and in addition they are not always at the wanted difficulity level.
    But Checkfate's idea sounds good.
    Besides I found that MIT OpenCourseWare have assignments for the curses online, that should keep me busy for a little while.

The idea of this, is that I want to have a real good understanding of the theory. Even though you can understand the theory easilly, there are always intresting questions about that topic that may never think of, when you just read about the stuff. But such questions may arrive when you are solving problems or so.
    And my textbook ("Elements of Newtonian Mechanics") isn't really detailed about the topics, it concentrates more on the math than on the real physics.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?