What should I study to pursue a career in physics?

• Thread starter Tristan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the speaker is a 24-year-old college graduate with a degree in Aeronautical Science who is no longer interested in pursuing a career in aviation due to a medical condition. They have been working in a car rental company but are now considering going back to school to study physics. They are seeking advice on which public school to attend and what to study, as they are interested in multiple fields within physics. They also mention their limited math background and their desire to learn as much as possible about everything. The speaker is not happy with their current job and wants to make a change.
Tristan
Here is my situation,

I'm a 24 year old college graduate with a degree in Aeronautical Science (A pilots degree) from Embry Riddle. I've been out of school for 2 years now. I was unable to finish my last few flight ratings due to a medical condition discovered my last year of school (graves disease-an over active thyroid). I was able to graduate but I am unable to fly as a career, and quite frankly I'm no longer interested in it. It would seem real life has gotten the better of my childhood dreams. Right out of school I started working for a car rental company that prommised me the world, after nearly 2 years of fantastically unfulling 60+ hour work weeks I but the job on the shelf and walked away. I took a job managing a friends mattress store with the intention of going back to school as soon as possible, which brings me to why I'm here.

About 2 years ago was when it all started, an innocent trip to the book store turned into an intellectual facination. I bought "The Ellegant Universe" by Brain Greene and I was hooked, since I've read his other book as well as a many others. It got me thinking how great it would be to do something allong the lines of physics as a career but I knew I would have to go back to school and more or less start over again.

Here's were I need some input, I live in Jacksonville Florida, it looks like my best choice for schools around here is UF in gainsville (only about an hour for were I live) I'd like to go to a public school because I don't care to accumulate any more debt then I already have (my 1st undergrad was an arm and a leg) The only way I would consider something private is if I got into one of the big shot schools (and I don't think I have a chance). What I'm trying to figure out is what on Earth to study though, they have some excellent engineering schools at UF and nuclear engineering caught my eye as something that would be interesting. I also thought about engineering physics (as I know some people who did that at riddle). I'm a pretty big computer buff so I'm also thinking computer/ellectrical engineering would be a good way to go too. Then again I could just get a general math or physics degree and specialize in something in grad school, really I have lots of options I'm just not sure were to go. I've deffinantly been enamorized by many of the books I've read and the theories within them, but I have a feeling that they are interesting on paper but in practice/research they are not as compelling to study. When it comes to science I'm a glutton, I want to learn as much as possible about everything, I don't know how to settle down and pick something. Another concern I have is my math background is fairly limitted I did take calc 1 although I don't remember a bit of it, I did so so in the class although I can't honestly say I applied myself.

So with all that said (I guess that was allot for such a simple question) I'm looking for a little direction. I do know this, I'm not happy were I am now, and I don't want to sell beds for the rest of my life if I don't have to, my degree right now is getting me nowhere, so its time to go back to the drawing board and make a change.

Thanks allot for any input, Tristan

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, let me say that I am still a student, but I wanted to chime in because my situation is similar to your's: i.e. I'm 28 and have a degree in international affairs. Although I've been fairly successful in this field, I'm not that happy and do not care to continue in it.

I can't say what the best plan would be for you, but I can tell you what I'm doing and maybe that will help.

I was never that great at math either, and given the nature of my degree, I didn't have to take anything above college algebra. Once I got interested in physics, I realized I was going to have to get good at math if I wanted to study physics. So, I've been taking night classes at my local Jr. College and have actually been doing very well (all A's so far, surprisingly). It's been reall tough to go to work all day and then head off to class every night, but I'm really really enjoying it. It's amazing what a little motivation, interest, and maturity will do for you. Eventually I plan on getting a B.S. in physics and then (hopefully) continuing on to grad school.

All the advice I've gotten is to not worry about specializing in any subfield of physics until you get to grad school. Then you can find some research that interest you and specialize in that. Also, I've heard that it itsn't terribly important where you get your undergrad as long as you work hard, get good grades, and try to get some research expereince. If you do well and get to know your professors, you should be able to get into a good graduate school. As I understand it, most PhD candidates do not have to pay tuition, which is nice.

Hopefully some of the others who have already been through the gaunlet can give you some more informed (and very probably more accurate) advice than I can, but I do know where you're coming from. I hope it goes well for you.

I can understand your desire to pursue a career in physics and your interest in various fields such as engineering and computer science. My advice would be to start by taking some introductory physics courses at a local community college or online to refresh your knowledge and see if you enjoy the subject. From there, you can decide which specific field of physics you want to focus on.

If you are interested in nuclear engineering, I would recommend taking some courses in that area as well. Additionally, you can reach out to professors or professionals in the field to gain more insight and potentially get involved in research projects or internships.

In terms of your math background, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics for a career in physics. I would suggest taking some math courses, such as calculus and linear algebra, to strengthen your skills. You can also look into online resources or textbooks to refresh your knowledge.

Overall, my advice would be to explore different fields within physics and see what interests you the most. Don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field for guidance and advice. With determination and hard work, you can certainly pursue a career in physics. Best of luck to you!

1. What is the purpose of "Looking for some direction"?

The purpose of "Looking for some direction" is to seek guidance or clarity in a specific area of your life, whether it be personal, professional, or academic.

2. How can I find direction in my life?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to finding direction in life, as it is a unique and personal journey for each individual. Some ways to find direction may include setting goals, exploring new interests, seeking advice from others, and reflecting on your values and passions.

3. Can a lack of direction affect my mental health?

Yes, a lack of direction can have a negative impact on your mental health. It can lead to feelings of confusion, anxiety, and dissatisfaction with life. It is important to address and actively seek direction in order to maintain your mental well-being.

4. Is it normal to feel lost or directionless at times?

Yes, it is normal to feel lost or directionless at certain points in life. It is a natural part of the process of growth and change. It is important to remember that it is temporary and there are steps you can take to find direction again.

5. Can seeking direction be a continuous process?

Yes, seeking direction can be an ongoing process as our goals, interests, and values can change throughout our lives. It is important to regularly reassess and adjust our direction in order to stay aligned with our personal growth and fulfillment.