Looking for the best books to increase my knowledge

In summary: I'll check them out. In summary, the author suggests that someone starting out in physics should read books by Lee Smolin, Michio Kaku, Leonard Susskind, Kip Thorne, Brian Greene, Lisa Randall.
Jallen
Hello,

This is my first post, I signed up especially to ask it.
I recently finished reading Steven Hawking + Leonard Mlodinow's "The Grand Design" and I found it really interesting. The bits I found most interesting were the parts on quantum physics, more specifically wheeler's delayed choice experiment and its implications. It blew my mind.

I did ok at A-Level physics (which if you don't know is a UK qualification from ages 16-18) but really that's the extent of my physics knowledge. I'm soon to graduate with a first honours in bsc computer science but I avoid maths where possible.

I really want to be able to understand the latest physics breakthroughs, the significance for example of the experiments taking place at the LHC. I want to be able to read about string theory and understand the significance.
Can anyone suggest to me a book, a series of books, or any kind of information source(s) which can take me from knowing quite a small amount to having a half decent understanding of physics in general, so I can understand the things I mentioned?

The less maths involved the better, but if it's necessary for understanding the concepts then I'm prepared to learn.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look in the learning section here...
Look for popular books by Lee Smolin, Michio Kaku, Leonard Susskind, Kip Thorne, Brian Greene, Lisa Randall. Stephen Hawking...all theory and concepts, no math...

Consider Amazon used books...cheap...

I did some searching on Amazon for those authors and I've decided to start with Brian Greene's "The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time and the Texture of Reality" - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0141011114/?tag=pfamazon01-20
and "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/009928992X/?tag=pfamazon01-20
They've got a lot of good reviews, seem to cover a broad range of interesting topics and are inexpensive. Great!

Thanks for the author suggestions!

What are the most important factors to consider when looking for books to increase knowledge?

The most important factors to consider when looking for books to increase knowledge are the credibility and expertise of the author, the relevance of the topic to your interests, the reviews and ratings of the book, the publication date and edition, and the accessibility of the book (e.g. availability in your preferred format or language).

Are there any specific genres or categories of books that are more effective for increasing knowledge?

There is no specific genre or category of books that is more effective for increasing knowledge. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and learning style. However, non-fiction books, biographies, and self-help books are often popular choices for gaining knowledge in a specific subject or field.

How can I find reputable sources for book recommendations?

You can find reputable sources for book recommendations by consulting with experts in the field, such as professors or professionals, reading book reviews and recommendations from trusted sources (e.g. newspapers, magazines, or online book communities), and checking out bestseller lists for popular and well-reviewed books.

Is it better to read physical books or e-books for increasing knowledge?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on personal preference. Some people may prefer the experience of reading a physical book, while others may find e-books more convenient and accessible. It is important to choose the format that works best for you in terms of retaining information and staying engaged with the material.

Are there any specific techniques or strategies I can use while reading to increase my understanding and retention of the material?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies you can use while reading to increase your understanding and retention of the material. These include taking notes, highlighting important information, summarizing key points, and regularly reviewing and discussing the material with others. Additionally, setting goals and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections can also enhance your learning experience.