Looking through NRC regulations on acquiring Am241

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of navigating regulations for acquiring samples of Am241 for a university. It is suggested to consult the university's EH&S Radiation Safety Division and the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 10 for guidance. It is also mentioned that purchasing smoke detectors could be a possible solution.
mesa
Gold Member
Hello all, I am reading through the regulations at the NRC for what is required for a University to acquire samples of Am241 but am having a difficult time navigating my way around.

Any help would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Someone at your university should be responsible for the radioactive inventory. That person should know the regulations (and has to know about your plans anyway).

mfb said:
Someone at your university should be responsible for the radioactive inventory. That person should know the regulations (and has to know about your plans anyway).

Yes, you are correct.

We have our EH&S Radiation Safety Division, the Radiation Safety Board, and a whole host of nuclear experts on campus, however I like to go in well prepared before asking questions.

mesa said:
Hello all, I am reading through the regulations at the NRC for what is required for a University to acquire samples of Am241 but am having a difficult time navigating my way around.

Any help would be appreciated!
This document discusses some of the local and federal regulations governing the handling of radioactive materials:

http://www.perkinelmer.com/CMSResources/Images/44-73406gde_safehandlingradioactivematerials.pdf

See p. 7 and following for a discussion.

The Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 10, contains the regulatory language. The CFR can be accessed here:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR

Select the year, and a new menu will appear listing all chapters in the CFR (there are 50 total). You can download all of Chapter 10 or just the pertinent bits.

As far as acquiring the actual material, I suppose you could go to Home Depot and buy a crapload of smoke detectors. :wink:

Likes mesa
SteamKing said:
This document discusses some of the local and federal regulations governing the handling of radioactive materials:

http://www.perkinelmer.com/CMSResources/Images/44-73406gde_safehandlingradioactivematerials.pdf

See p. 7 and following for a discussion.

The Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 10, contains the regulatory language. The CFR can be accessed here:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collectionCfr.action?collectionCode=CFR

Select the year, and a new menu will appear listing all chapters in the CFR (there are 50 total). You can download all of Chapter 10 or just the pertinent bits.

As far as acquiring the actual material, I suppose you could go to Home Depot and buy a crapload of smoke detectors. :wink:

This is a good start, thank you SteamKing.

Likes Garlic

Related to Looking through NRC regulations on acquiring Am241

What is Am241 and why is it regulated by the NRC?

Am241, or Americium-241, is a radioactive isotope commonly used in smoke detectors and other industrial applications. It is regulated by the NRC, or Nuclear Regulatory Commission, because it can be dangerous if not handled and disposed of properly.

Do I need a license to acquire Am241?

Yes, anyone who wishes to acquire Am241 must obtain a specific license from the NRC. This license requires strict adherence to regulations and guidelines for safe handling, storage, and disposal of the material.

What steps do I need to take to acquire Am241?

To acquire Am241, you must first determine if your intended use falls under the NRC's regulations. If it does, you must then submit an application for a specific license, undergo a safety evaluation, and demonstrate your ability to handle and dispose of the material safely.

What are the potential risks associated with acquiring Am241?

Am241 can emit harmful radiation, which can pose a health risk if not properly contained and controlled. There is also a risk of theft or misuse of the material, which is why strict regulations are in place to ensure its safe handling and disposal.

How do I dispose of Am241 once I no longer need it?

The NRC has specific guidelines for the disposal of Am241, which may include returning the material to the manufacturer or transferring it to a licensed disposal facility. It is important to follow these guidelines to prevent potential harm to individuals and the environment.