Looks like profanity, but it isn't.

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the authors of a popular E&M text, Landau and Lifshitz, and the possibility of overriding the software's censorship of their names. The conversation also touches on the correct spelling of Lifshitz's name, other famous Russian mathematicians and scientists, and various ways to sneak past the profanity filter.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
In my latest journal entry, I made a mention of the authors of a popular E&M text. The authors' names were Landau and Lif****z (this will have *** in it). I know the software automatically censor off words such as this. Is it possible to override this for that particular posting? I swear that this isn't anywhere close to being a profanity. I'm sure someone else can verify that such a text and authors really existed.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use bold or underline or italics and split the cuss word.

For example

<b>Lifsh</b><b>itz</b>

where

< = [
> = ]

Lifshitz

mattmns said:

For example

<b>Lifsh</b><b>itz</b>

where

< = [
> = ]

Lifshitz

Sneaky! :)

Zz.

Last edited:
Use the German transcription:LIFSCHITZ...

Daniel.

The system has erased the name not because it would sound impolite. Rather I think it is ashamed of it, because the correct spelling is:

Rudolph Lipschitz.

References:
-http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Lipschitz.html

-Tom M. Apostol, "Calculus", 1998.

dextercioby said:
Use the German transcription:LIFSCHITZ...

Daniel.

That could work too. I feel bad about bastardizing his name.

Zz.

Clausius2 said:
The system has erased the name not because it would sound impolite. Rather I think it is ashamed of it, because the correct spelling is:

Rudolph Lipschitz.

References:
-http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Lipschitz.html

-Tom M. Apostol, "Calculus", 1998.

You're talking about another guy,a German,a mathematician. :rolleyes: :wink:

Zapper meant Evgenyy Mikhailowitch Lifschitz,the RUSSIAN PHYSICIST...

Daniel.

Eh, so I'll PM it. I suppose someone could still figure it out if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
You know,your ideas might be interpreted in another fashion...As any obscenity may skip the banning...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
You're talking about another guy,a German,a mathematician. :rolleyes: :wink:

Zapper meant Evgenyy Mikhailowitch Lifschitz,the RUSSIAN PHYSICIST...

Daniel.

Are you joking? I have searched that guy without success. Either he doesn't exist, or he discovered the popcorns. :rofl:

Clausius2 said:
Are you joking? I have searched that guy without success. Either he doesn't exist, or he discovered the popcorns. :rofl:
He just happens to be a co-author (with Landau) of perhaps the most widely read texts on Field Theories (both classical and quantum) - so he's a household name to anyone in physics.

It's not fair not to remember the authors of a book,even though one of them was a Nobel Prize winner and the other not.As you Americans probably use the syntagma "Feynman and Hibbs" when speaking about the famous book,so do we,Europeans about "(Lev Davydovitch) Landau and (Evgenyy Mikhailovitch) Lifschitz"...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's not fair not to remember the authors of a book,even though one of them was a Nobel Prize winner and the other not.As you Americans probably use the syntagma "Feynman and Hibbs" when speaking about the famous book,so do we,Europeans about "(Lev Davydovitch) Landau and (Evgenyy Mikhailovitch) Lifschitz"...

Daniel.
The only Russian sounding name I'm able to remember, is Nicolaj Ivanovich Lobachevsky, and that's only because an American mathematician made a song about him.

You've never heard of Mendeleev,Pavlov,Tchaikowsky,Tolstoy and other million of famous Russians...?? :

That's fair,i've heard only of Sophus Lie...:wink:

Daniel.

All right, if I scratch my brain bloody, I might remember a few others.

Besides, you know about Niels Henrik Abel as well (in addition, possibly, (Carl) Stoermer)

Yes,Abel was a known mathematician.

Daniel.

Shall we try Arabic, Chinese, Thai, ... anglicisations are nothing if not inconsistent :wink:

It would be fair,if we had Russian fonts.That way,Lifschitz' name would be in the original form.

Daniel.

What, you mean like this?
Лев Давидович Ландау (Lev Davidovich Landau)
Евгений Михайлович Лифшиц (Evgenij Mikhajlovich Lifsh​its)

Last edited:
Hmmmm, does it work if you use LaTeX? Let's see:

[itex]Lif****z[/itex]

edit:

no :frown:

mattmns said:

For example

<b>Lifsh</b><b>itz</b>

where

< = [
> = ]

Lifshitz

ZapperZ said:
]Sneaky! :)

Lifshits

Sneakier--No bold needed! :cool:

Tom Mattson said:
Lifshits

Hmmm...this probably will work too, with less typing (I hope):

Lifshits

Edit: I guess not. :rolleyes: :confused:

[tex]Lifshi\\ts[/tex] (as long as they don't fix "\\"
[tex]\mbox{Lifshi}\mbox{ts}[/tex]

Revered mentors and esteemed members leading the young astray by teaching them how to bypass the profanity filter. :biggrin:

I give honestrosewater a gold star for the most creative. :approve:

Last edited:
Tom Mattson said:
COLOR=Black]Lifs[/COLOR]hits

Ah that is convincing. Very convincing. I think we have a winner.

Hmph, my non-bolded version (Lifsh​its) from last night was apparently so sneaky no one even noticed it. :tongue2:

(and its less typing than Tom's or using LaTeX... :wink:)

edit: honestrosewater's 2nd version definitely gets points for creativity.

Last edited:
plover said:
Hmph, my non-bolded version (Lifsh​its) from last night was apparently so sneaky no one even noticed it. :tongue2:

(and its less typing than Tom's or using LaTeX... :wink:)
How'd you do it? Use the code? That works: Lif****s. I used the code for s, 115. You just type & #115; without the space between & and the rest.
Edit: Eh, it works the first time (Lif****s), but the code is replaced by the letter the second time (after you preview or quote). :rolleyes: So how'd you do it?
Oh, nevermind, I see you used code too. ​Lifsh​its. What is 8203? And why doesn't it work like mine?

Last edited:
Unicode character 8203 (0x200b) is a zero width space. It's found in the "General Punctuation" code block. (Unicode code blocks)

Actually, it pretty much does work like yours. When you preview, the html entity is replaced by the character, in both the preview and the text box. I assume it gets re-encoded when the browsers transfers the data. The only problem is (in this case anyway, it's no doubt intended to work this way) it can be the location of a line break.)

Hmm, 0x202f is a "narrow no-break space", I wonder how that might look: Lifsh its

Hey! That looks fine, and won't produce an awkward line break.

Last edited:
plover said:
Unicode character 8203 (0x200b) is a zero width space. It's found in the "General Punctuation" code block. ( code blocks[/url)
Eh, I figured it was Unicode but couldn't find it in the index.
Actually, it pretty much does work like yours. When you preview, the html entity is replaced by the character, in both the preview and the text box. I assume it gets re-encoded when the browsers transfers the data.
115 is "s" in ISO-8859-1, what PF uses. The filter catches it the second time around.
Hmm, 0x202f is a "narrow no-break space", I wonder how that might look: Lifsh its

Hey! That looks fine, and won't produce an awkward line break.
Nice catch.
Oh, Unicode doesn't work in IE6. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
honestrosewater said:
115 is "s" in ISO-8859-1, what PF uses. The filter catches it the second time around.
That's pretty much what I was saying. I guess I wasn't clear.
Oh, Unicode doesn't work in IE6. :frown:
I was wondering about that. It figures...

plover said:

Eh, it's not all that sneaky from where I sit. My browser shows a square between the "h" and the "i" in your solution to this little problem.

I rule!

Tom Mattson said:
Eh, it's not all that sneaky from where I sit. My browser shows a square between the "h" and the "i" in your solution to this little problem.

I rule!
Which browser are you using? Vanilla IE6? Or a variant? I'm just curious if the browsers based on IE also fail on Unicode.

Also, can you see the Cyrillic characters in my earlier post (#19)? (They show up in IE6 on my machine, but I have Eastern European fonts and such installed.)

1. What does it mean when something looks like profanity, but it isn't?

This refers to words or phrases that may have a similar appearance or sound to a curse word, but are not actually considered profane. This can be due to different spellings, pronunciations, or cultural contexts.

2. Can you give an example of something that looks like profanity, but isn't?

One example is the word "frak," which is often used in science fiction shows as a substitute for the profane word "fuck." Another example is "shite," a British variant of "shit."

3. Why do some words look like profanity, but are not considered offensive?

This can be due to a variety of reasons, such as historical changes in language, cultural differences, or creative use of language for comedic or dramatic effect. It can also be a way for people to express strong emotions without using actual profanity.

4. How can I tell if something is actually profanity or just looks like it?

The best way to determine if something is considered profane is to research its meaning and usage in different contexts. You can also consider the source and audience of the words or phrases in question.

5. Is it ever appropriate to use words that look like profanity, but aren't?

This depends on the context and audience. In some cases, using words that resemble profanity can be seen as clever or humorous. However, it is important to be mindful of cultural sensitivities and the potential impact of your words on others.