Can Calculating Real Coefficient of Friction Solve Loop-the-Loop Lab Variance?

• Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
In summary, David found that the average coefficient of friction for a car negotiating a loop was μk, but that the real μk was different than the expected μk of 5%. He found that the large variance was the result of inelastic collisions between the car and the track.
faust9
Hello all.

I just stumbled across this site and as such would like to say thanks in advance for any insight to my little quandry...

Here's the deal: My team did a loop-the-loop lab for engineering physics and it went like this.

First we set a ramp at some height such that a car rolling down an incline would be able to negotiate a loop. We then measured the total distance traveled by the car and used that to compute the average friction coefficient.

With the average friction coefficient we could then calculate some height such that the car would just barely negotiate the loop (the normal force of the car at the apex to the loop would be as close to zero as possible).

Next we experimentally determined the height using the above criteria.

The quandry is that the H-calculated is 21% higher than the H-expected; however, our goal was a 5% variance.

My question is (before I actually go through and figure this out) do y'all think finding the actual coefficient of friction using the sum of the integrals of the friction down the incline, through the loop, and along the flat part of the track would change the answer appreciably?

Thanks for any insight.

David

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be worth the while considering that the normal force (and, consequently, the friction force) varies between ~0 to ~(mg + mv^2/R) over the course of the loop. The way you started is a good way, though. You know that no model will be perfect, so it's good to start out with a simple model (like a constant friction as you did) and see how good it is. If it's not good enough, then you refine it some.

Thanks for the resonse.

I did calculate the real μk as opposed to the average and the net result brought the difference to 19'ish%. I guess I'll have to simply explain the huge variance as the result of inelastic collisions between the car and the sides of the track.

1. What is a loop-the-loop question?

A loop-the-loop question refers to a type of scientific inquiry that involves creating a continuous cycle of questioning and experimentation in order to reach a conclusion or answer.

2. How is a loop-the-loop question different from a traditional scientific question?

A loop-the-loop question is different from a traditional scientific question in that it involves multiple iterations of questioning and experimentation, rather than a single question and answer.

3. What are the benefits of using a loop-the-loop question in scientific research?

The benefits of using a loop-the-loop question include gaining a deeper understanding of the topic at hand, identifying potential flaws in previous experiments or theories, and potentially discovering new insights or solutions.

4. Can loop-the-loop questions be used in all areas of science?

Yes, loop-the-loop questions can be used in all areas of science where there is a need for continuous questioning and experimentation in order to reach a conclusion or answer.

5. How can I formulate a loop-the-loop question for my own research?

To formulate a loop-the-loop question, start by identifying a topic or problem that you want to investigate. Then, ask a question that will lead to further questions and experimentation, creating a cycle of inquiry. Continuously revise and refine your question as you gather new information and insights.