Understanding Lorentz Force & its Helical Motion

In summary, The Lorentz force law explains how electric and magnetic fields affect charged particles. In terms of the helicoidal trajectory of a proton in a magnetic field, the force exerted by the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the proton's velocity, causing it to experience radial acceleration. This can be seen in the diagram provided."
EdTheHead
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what exactly the lorentz force is. In this diagram here
[PLAIN]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7065/helicinbfld.jpg
I know its the force that's keeping the proton in that helicoidal trajectory so I can see its perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field but what exactly is it. I know that the proton is exerting an electric field as well as a magnetic field since its in motion but I don't know what it is that causes this helicoidal motion is it the interaction between the magnetic field of the proton between the magnetic field its entering or is there more to is than that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Lorentz Force and how does it work?

The Lorentz Force is the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It is given by the vector equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field. This force acts perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields, causing the particle to move in a helical motion.

2. What is the significance of the helical motion in the Lorentz Force?

The helical motion is significant because it allows the charged particle to move in a spiral path, rather than a straight line, when subjected to an electric and magnetic field. This motion is important in various physical phenomena, such as the movement of charged particles in a particle accelerator or in the Earth's magnetic field.

3. How does the strength of the Lorentz Force change with different values of charge, electric field, and magnetic field?

The strength of the Lorentz Force is directly proportional to the charge of the particle and the magnitude of the magnetic field. It is also affected by the direction of the fields and the velocity of the particle. The electric field, however, does not directly affect the strength of the Lorentz Force, but it does determine the direction of the force.

4. Can the Lorentz Force be used to manipulate or control the movement of charged particles?

Yes, the Lorentz Force can be used to manipulate and control the movement of charged particles. This is the basis for various technologies such as particle accelerators and MRI machines. By manipulating the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, scientists can control the helical motion of charged particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Force and its helical motion?

The Lorentz Force and its helical motion have various real-world applications. Some examples include:

• Particle accelerators for scientific research and medical treatments
  • Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical imaging
  • Cathode ray tubes for television and computer screens
  • Magnetohydrodynamics for propulsion systems in spacecraft
  • Electric motors and generators