Lorentz invariance of Klein-Gordon Lagrangian

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 6K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
2,802
Reaction score
605
I want to prove the invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac 1 2 \partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi-\frac 1 2 m^2 \phi^2[/itex] under a general Lorentz transformation [itex]\Lambda^\alpha_\beta[/itex] but I don't know what should I do. I don't know how to handle it. How should I do it?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think the easiest way to do it would be to apply a Lorentz transformation and see that the Lagrangian doesn't change. Have you tried doing that?
 
Yeah, I tried but I don't know how should I apply it. Is the following correct?

[itex] \mathcal{L}^{'}=\frac 1 2 \Lambda^\nu_\mu \partial^\mu[\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)] \Lambda^\mu_\nu \partial_\mu [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]-\frac 1 2 m^2 [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]^2[/itex]

If it is, how should I write [itex]\Lambda^{-1} x[/itex]? The direct transformation is [itex]\Lambda_\mu^\nu x^\mu[/itex], what is the inverse transformation in component form?
Or maybe I only should write [itex]\Lambda^{-1}x=x^{'}[/itex] and then using [itex]\Lambda^\nu_\mu\partial^\mu=\partial^{'\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^\mu_\nu\partial_\mu=\partial^{'}_{\nu}[/itex], and the invariance is proved?
Or what?
 
Last edited:
what is the definition of a scalar field transformation then? or try to expand it in taylor around x [I guess then you can reach a form of the same lagrangian + a total derivative term]
In any case there are some problems in your definition... you should avoid writting two summed indices the same...[in your case a mu pair should change... then you'll get the metric which will give you again the double partial derivative...
 
Shyan said:
Yeah, I tried but I don't know how should I apply it. Is the following correct?

[itex] \mathcal{L}^{'}=\frac 1 2 \Lambda^\nu_\mu \partial^\mu[\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)] \Lambda^\mu_\nu \partial_\mu [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]-\frac 1 2 m^2 [\phi^{'}(\Lambda^{-1} x)]^2[/itex]

If it is, how should I write [itex]\Lambda^{-1} x[/itex]? The direct transformation is [itex]\Lambda_\mu^\nu x^\mu[/itex], what is the inverse transformation in component form?
Or maybe I only should write [itex]\Lambda^{-1}x=x^{'}[/itex] and then using [itex]\Lambda^\nu_\mu\partial^\mu=\partial^{'\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^\mu_\nu\partial_\mu=\partial^{'}_{\nu}[/itex], and the invariance is proved?
Or what?

If you just replace it with ##\partial^{\nu'}## and call it done, then you might as well have just said the Lagrangian is Lorentz invariant by inspection.

Maybe one can try this hint:

$$A^{\mu'}A_{\mu'}=\Lambda^{\mu'}_{~~\nu}A^\nu \Lambda^{\rho}_{~~\mu'} A_\rho=\Lambda^{\rho}_{~~\mu'}\Lambda^{\mu'}_{~~\nu}A^\nu A_\rho=\delta^{~~\rho}_{\nu}A^\nu A_\rho=A^\rho A_\rho$$

See how you can apply this to your calculation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Shyan said:
I want to prove the invariance of the Klein-Gordon Lagrangian [itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac 1 2 \partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi-\frac 1 2 m^2 \phi^2[/itex] under a general Lorentz transformation [itex]\Lambda^\alpha_\beta[/itex] but I don't know what should I do. I don't know how to handle it. How should I do it?
Thanks

Start from the “transformation” of the scalar field
[tex]\phi ( x ) = \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) . \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
So, [itex]\phi^{ 2 } ( x ) = \bar{ \phi }^{ 2 } ( \bar{ x } )[/itex] and this takes care of the second term.

Now, differentiate (1) with respect to [itex]x^{ \mu }[/itex] and use the chain rule:
[tex]\partial_{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \rho } } \frac{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \rho } }{ \partial x^{ \mu } } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \rho } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \ \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } . \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
Next, differentiate (1) with respect to [itex]x_{ \mu }[/itex]:
[tex]\partial^{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } } \frac{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } }{ \partial x_{ \mu } } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \sigma } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \ \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } . \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
Multiply (2) and (3) and use the defining property of the Lorentz transformation
[tex]\Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } \ \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } = \Lambda^{ \rho }{}_{ \mu } \ \Lambda^{ \sigma }{}_{ \nu } \ \eta^{ \mu \nu } = \eta^{ \rho \sigma } .[/tex]

Sam
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Gosh I hate the notation ##x_\mu##... I would much rather write ##\partial^\mu=\eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_\nu## rather than ##\partial^\mu=\partial/\partial x_\mu##.
 
Matterwave said:
Gosh I hate the notation ##x_\mu##... I would much rather write ##\partial^\mu=\eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_\nu## rather than ##\partial^\mu=\partial/\partial x_\mu##.

Yes, hating it is a good practise. Ok, the equation below is for your taste :)

[tex]\partial^{ \mu } \phi ( x ) = \frac{ \partial \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) }{ \partial \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } } \partial^{ \mu } \bar{ x }^{ \sigma } = \bar{ \partial }_{ \sigma } \bar{ \phi } ( \bar{ x } ) \Lambda^{ \sigma \mu } . \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
 
Just one more thing.
Consider the quantity [itex]A^\mu B_\mu[/itex]. Is it the same as [itex]A_\mu B^\mu[/itex]?
This is how I tried to prove it:
[itex]A^\nu B_\nu=\eta_{\nu\mu}\eta^{\nu\mu}A_\mu B^\mu[/itex].
The problem is, [itex]\eta_{\nu\mu}\eta^{\nu\mu}[/itex] is the twice contracted product of Minkowski metrics and is equal to [itex]\pm 2[/itex]. But regardless of the fact that maybe [itex]A^\mu B_\mu=A_\nu B^\nu[/itex] isn't true, a coefficient of two doesn't seem to be true!
 
Last edited:
No, you haven't understood the Einstein summation convention properly. Compare what you wrote with what's right:

[tex]A^{\nu}B_{\nu} = \eta^{\nu\alpha}A_{\alpha}B^{\mu}\eta_{\mu\nu}[/tex]

See where you made the mistake.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
avoid having summed indices more than once- that's a rule. Otherwise summation doesn't make much sense.
what you wrote would have to be:
[itex]A_{\nu} B^{\nu} = \eta_{\nu \mu} A^{\mu} \eta^{\mu \rho} B_{\rho} = \delta^{\rho}_{\mu} A^{\mu}B_{\rho} = A^{\mu} B_{\mu}[/itex]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person