Lorentz Transformation: Derivation & Explanation

In summary, during a conversation about the Lorentz transformation, the topic of the speed of light being the same in every reference frame was brought up. The person was wondering at what point this is incorporated in the derivation, as the person only used algebra and some equations from basic geometry and classical mechanics. They also mentioned that representing a beam of electrons with the letter c would still result in the same answer. They then asked for recommendations for a site with a clear and simple explanation of the Lorentz transformation for time dilation and length contraction. The conversation ended with the person realizing that they were too hasty in seeking an explanation online and that sometimes serious thinking is the best option.
JamesClarke
Hi, I was looking at a basic derivation of the lorentz transformation on youtube. I was wondering at what point do you incorporate the fact that speed of light is same in every reference frame because the guy only uses some algebra on a few equations that come from basic geometry and classical mechanics and the lorentz factor just pops out of nowhere. You could represent a beam of electrons instead with the letter c and you`d still arrive at the same result.(I think) Why is that? Oh, and can anyone recommend a good site where i can get a well explained and simple derivation of the lorentz transformation for time dilaltion and length contraction?the video is /watch?v=oLffmNXLjv4

ps you can stop watching aroung 6:00
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I get it now. I was too hasty to post online. Sometimes a bit of serious thinking is the best option !

Related to Lorentz Transformation: Derivation & Explanation

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation and why is it important in science?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how time and space measurements change between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It is important in science because it helps us understand the effects of special relativity, where the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. Who developed the Lorentz Transformation and when?

The Lorentz Transformation was developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in 1904. It was later refined and expanded upon by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity in 1905.

3. How is the Lorentz Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. It involves using a set of mathematical equations to transform the coordinates and time measurements of one reference frame to another, taking into account the relative velocity between the two frames.

4. What is the difference between the Lorentz Transformation and Galilean Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a more accurate version of the Galilean Transformation, which was used to describe the relationship between space and time in classical mechanics. The key difference is that the Lorentz Transformation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while the Galilean Transformation does not.

5. How is the Lorentz Transformation used in practical applications?

The Lorentz Transformation is used in many practical applications, such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear physics. It is also used in the development of various technologies, such as high-speed trains and airplanes, where the effects of special relativity must be taken into account to ensure their accuracy and safety.