Lost My Mojo: How Can I Regain My Academic Motivation?

• Thread starter doctorwes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
It happens to everyone.In summary, the conversation between doctorwes and Jackmell discussed doctorwes' recent struggles in Maths and Physics. Jackmell suggested that doctorwes may have lost their passion or motivation for these subjects and recommended reading a book for inspiration. However, doctorwes disagreed and shared that they have a good understanding of the subjects but have been making silly mistakes in their assessments. Jackmell advised doctorwes to consider factors like sleep, nutrition, and stress that could be affecting their performance, and to not be too hard on themselves. They also suggested analyzing the root of the problem and taking precautions in the future.
doctorwes
Hey I am doctorwes and I am a A2 student in Maths, Physics and ICT

Recently, I have been feeling rather cr*p towards my work in both Maths and Physics. I mananged to get a B in our maths assessment, on which I should have got 90 percent or more and now I have got my physics paper back and I got an E (45%), which after going through the paper is annoying.

Normally, I would be able to do these assessment with ease, but now I feel like I have lost my special "spark".

Any ideas to help me get it back?

Physics news on Phys.org
doctorwes said:
Any ideas to help me get it back?

Maybe you have lost your way wes. "Why am I doing this?" No, not me, my mojo is plenty fine. I mean you. Why bother studying physics and math while others are banging about? Do you know that much personal suffering in the world is caused by people living their lives in a cloud of haze not understanding why things in the world are the way that they are? Yeah, it's true. Well, math to me answers virtually all of those questions. Yeah, yeah physics too, whatever. Anyway, I may not like some of the things in my life, but because I like studying math and science, at least I understand why they are the way that they are and that gives me great peace of mind and my mojo is with me.

jackmell said:
Maybe you have lost your way wes. ... Anyway, I may not like some of the things in my life, but because I like studying math and science, at least I understand why they are the way that they are and that gives me great peace of mind and my mojo is with me.

I see what you are saying Jackmell, but I don't think this is the problem. My mind is currently at peace and am doing well in my other subject (ICT), so I feel that it is more maths related. For example, I was making the most stupid mistakes today in physics, like putting 6000 into the calculator, when the question shows 3000.

Making stupid mistakes, like putting 6000 into the calculator, when the question shows 3000, is *not* maths related. Just thinking that shows you are not thinking straight.

Are you getting enough sleep? Are you eating well? Getting enough exercise? Are you bored? Are you stressed out or depressed? Are you avoiding all drugs? Are you avoiding tobacco and alcohol? People make silly mistakes when they are tired, mentally unwell, malnourished, unfit, or have a hangover. It might just be a "teenage thing", a growth spurt or hormones upsetting things. If so, things should quickly get back to normal. If you continue making daft mistakes, over the next few weeks, I'd talk to a professional, or two, about it. Start with your favourite teacher and your GP.

mal4mac said:
People make silly mistakes when they are tired, mentally unwell, malnourished, unfit, or have a hangover.

Or when they're trying to rush through working out an exercise or derivation, frantically scribbling all over the paper. Sometimes I fall into that trap, too, in which case it helps if I sit back, close my eyes, take a few slow, deep breaths, and start over, putting conscious effort into writing more slowly and laying things out on the paper in an organized fashion.

If you made stupid mistakes or mistakes which you understand the reason its wrong, then that means you actually do understand all the material. In that case you should not be worried about your capabilities in math and physics. Its important not to be too hard on yourself. This type of thing has happened to many others including me. Just try to forget about this, be confident in your abilities and be determined to do well in your next assignment/test.

Sometimes it can be the way you prepared for the test. Did you get enough sleep? Did you cover all the topics? In detail? (may be you understood everything but messed up on some small annoying detail). Did you clear up any confusion over some subtle points? Did you practice enough hard problems? you might understand everything but may not have enough experience with hard problems that might show up on a test. Even if you can do them, practice will definitely increase your speed in finding the answer.

Whatever it is, try to analyze what the root of the problem is and find ways to fix its/take precautions but don't discourage yourself. You might just be going through a rough patch (happens to everyone since we are not perfect), or had bad luck.

Related to Lost My Mojo: How Can I Regain My Academic Motivation?

1. What causes a loss of academic motivation?

There are several factors that can contribute to a loss of academic motivation. These include burnout, stress, lack of interest in the subject, personal issues, and a lack of clear goals or direction.

2. How can I regain my academic motivation?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution to regaining academic motivation. However, some strategies that may help include setting achievable goals, seeking support from peers or mentors, taking breaks and practicing self-care, and finding ways to make the subject material more interesting or relevant to you.

3. Can a lack of motivation be a sign of a larger issue?

In some cases, a loss of academic motivation may be a symptom of a larger issue such as depression, anxiety, or a learning disability. If you consistently struggle with motivation, it may be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional or academic advisor.

4. How can I stay motivated in the long term?

Maintaining long-term motivation requires ongoing effort and self-reflection. It may be helpful to regularly reassess your goals and adjust them as needed, find a support system, and develop a positive mindset. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help prevent burnout and maintain motivation.

5. Is it normal to experience a loss of motivation during academic studies?

Yes, it is common to experience a loss of motivation at some point during your academic studies. It is important to remember that this is a normal part of the learning process and to seek support and strategies to help you regain motivation when needed.