Low voltage AC power supply

In summary, you can use a variac transformer to vary the voltage and current of an AC supply. The relationship between voltage and current depends on the load. If you use a variac transformer to vary the voltage, it will have a small voltage drop. If you use a variac transformer to vary the current, it will have a small current drop.
AndrewBourhis
Hi all,
I need to create an adjustable power supply (AC) that ranges from 0-6 volts with roughly 1 ampere at 1 volt. I have a variac transformer (0-130 volts), an isolation transformer and a stepdown transformer. My question is, does it matter what order I step the voltage down? In other words, could I keep the variac in front of the stepdown transformer, and vary the input voltage of the stepdown transformer? Or should I step it down first then use the variac (even though the input voltage is rated at 120 v...)

Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks,
-Andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can fine-adjust the amplitude of the AC wave using a resistor or potentiometer. You are using a variable transformer though. The relationship between voltage and current depends on the load - you cannot just supply a fixed voltage and current.

For your question - which order you step down will affect the performance ... but you should certainly step down first, and then use the variac. It may be rated at 120V, but what about spikes? Put the highest rated transformer first.

AndrewBourhis said:
Hi all,
I need to create an adjustable power supply (AC) that ranges from 0-6 volts with roughly 1 ampere at 1 volt.

Does that mean it'll be 6 amps at 6 volts?

I have a variac transformer (0-130 volts), an isolation transformer and a stepdown transformer. My question is, does it matter what order I step the voltage down? In other words, could I keep the variac in front of the stepdown transformer, and vary the input voltage of the stepdown transformer? Or should I step it down first then use the variac (even though the input voltage is rated at 120 v...)

Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks,
-Andrew

You already know the answer.
As you step voltage down you step current up. The voltage drop in your transformer windings is in proportion to current, it'll amount to a few percent of nameplate volts at nameplate amps..

What is the current rating of your variac? Probably it'll have a volt or two drop at nameplate amps and max setting. That's not bothersome at 130 volts out, but it sure could be at 6 volts out.

Placing variac first will give you better regulation out of it because it'll be handling less current.
old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
jim hardy said:
You already know the answer.
As you step voltage down you step current up. The voltage drop in your transformer windings is in proportion to current, it'll amount to a few percent of nameplate volts at nameplate amps..

What is the current rating of your variac? Probably it'll have a volt or two drop at nameplate amps and max setting. That's not bothersome at 130 volts out, but it sure could be at 6 volts out.

Placing variac first will give you better regulation out of it because it'll be handling less current.

old jim

Great, I measured the output of using the variac first, and it was fairly stable. Now I need to rectify this into a DC...

Thanks for the help

Hi Andrew,

It does matter what order you step the voltage down in your power supply. The variac transformer should be placed before the stepdown transformer in order to control the input voltage. This is because the variac transformer is designed to vary the input voltage, while the stepdown transformer is designed to reduce the voltage to a specific level. If you were to place the variac after the stepdown transformer, it would not have the same effect on the input voltage.

Additionally, it is important to consider the input voltage rating of your stepdown transformer. If it is rated at 120 volts, you should not exceed this voltage when using the variac. It is always important to follow the specifications and ratings of your equipment to ensure safe and proper functioning.

I hope this helps and good luck with your adjustable power supply!

Best,

1. What is the purpose of a low voltage AC power supply?

A low voltage AC power supply is used to provide a stable and safe source of alternating current (AC) power at a lower voltage. This is typically used for electronic devices and equipment that require lower levels of power to operate.

2. What is the difference between low voltage and high voltage AC power supplies?

The main difference between low voltage and high voltage AC power supplies is the amount of voltage they provide. Low voltage power supplies typically provide a range of 3-30 volts, while high voltage power supplies can provide up to thousands of volts. Low voltage power supplies are used for smaller electronic devices, while high voltage power supplies are used for larger equipment and industrial applications.

3. How does a low voltage AC power supply work?

A low voltage AC power supply works by converting the input voltage from an AC source into a lower, more stable output voltage. This is done through a series of components such as transformers, rectifiers, and capacitors. The output voltage is then regulated to ensure it remains constant, providing a reliable power source for electronic devices.

4. What are the benefits of using a low voltage AC power supply?

There are several benefits of using a low voltage AC power supply. These include increased safety due to lower voltages, more efficient power usage, and the ability to power a wider range of electronic devices. Low voltage power supplies are also typically smaller and more compact, making them easier to use in various applications.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a low voltage AC power supply?

While low voltage AC power supplies are generally safe to use, there are still some risks to be aware of. These include electric shock if proper precautions are not taken, as well as potential damage to electronic devices if the voltage is not regulated properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use a high-quality power supply to minimize these risks.