Lowest center of mass of a container + fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of at what height a container filled with fluid will have its center of gravity at its lowest point. The participants discuss the method of using the center of mass equation and taking the derivative to find the minimum point, as well as the simpler method of setting the center of mass equal to the water level and solving for the height. The solution is ultimately found and the conversation ends on a positive note.
Delej
I have an interesting question, that I've been struggling with for a while now, but I'm somehow messing it up. I haven't found anything on the internet (hard to search for something like this)
so I'm wondering if any of you know something useful about it, or do better at finding the solution. :)

Let's assume a container with a mass of M. This container has a base area of A, a height of h. It is a right prism/ or cylinder. (We consider the width of the walls of this container negligible).

We fill with this container with a fluid to the height of hf. (it could be something else too, but I think of fluids as it is a question that arose during drinking some refreshments :) ) The density of the fluid/substance is d (or rho, but that doesn't show up correctly on my screen...)

The question is at what height of filling the container will the (common) center of gravity be the lowest for these, and where is that minimum point?

In real life: Imagine the following scenario: You've got a glass of water. When it's completely full, its center of gravity is at ~h/2, because vertically it's sort of/approximately "homogeneous". As you start drinking from it, the center of gravity goes down with the water level. But at some point it reaches a minimum and starts going back up, because the water's weight gets more and more negligible compared to the glass. Until finally when you empty the glass, the center of gravity returns to that approximately ~h/2.

So where's that water level and the center of mass belonging to it? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
well the glass will be symmetrical about the centre of the cylinder, so you know that the centre of mass will always be along that axis. So you just basically have to calculate the height of the glass at which half of the total mass lies above and half lies below. To find the point where it switches from going down to going back up to midway you'd have to write the centre of mass as a function of water level and take the derivative to find the minimum. Not that difficult I don't think.

Yeah, that's the exact method I was going with, but I think I'm making some mistake in it somewhere. Finding where the derivative is zero amounts to a quadratic equation. This equation should have a positive (realistic) solution as long as all parameters are positive, but it's not so, so I'm assuming something isn't quite right. That's why I'm asking you all, to see if you do it either a completely different way, or do it the way I did, and come up with an equation that give correct answers...

Show what you did?

Delej said:
So where's that water level and the center of mass belonging to it? :)

Adding water when the water level is above the center of mass raises the center of mass. Subtracting water when the water level is below the center of mass also raises the center of mass. So the center of mass is at a minimum height when it is exactly at the water level. I don't think you need calculus to solve this problem. Just set up the equation for the center of mass as a function of the water level h, set that equal to h, and solve for h.

BBB

Ok, here's what I did... Well actually it isn't, since the notebook in which I did it, I left somewhere else, so I actually redid the calculations here at the computer as I entered them. I came up with the solution this time. I think it's really nice, and interesting, hope you agree. You'll see everything in the word file attached...
Have a nice day! :)

Attachments

• Center of mass.doc
    20 KB · Views: 1,772

Delej said:
Ok, here's what I did... Well actually it isn't, since the notebook in which I did it, I left somewhere else, so I actually redid the calculations here at the computer as I entered them. I came up with the solution this time. I think it's really nice, and interesting, hope you agree. You'll see everything in the word file attached...
Have a nice day! :)

Very nice!

BBB

1. What is the center of mass of a container + fluid?

The center of mass of a container + fluid is the point where the total mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the container and fluid combined.

2. Why is it important to find the lowest center of mass of a container + fluid?

Finding the lowest center of mass of a container + fluid is important because it helps determine the stability and potential tipping point of the system. This information is crucial in designing and operating containers to prevent accidents or spills.

3. How is the lowest center of mass of a container + fluid calculated?

The lowest center of mass of a container + fluid can be calculated using the formula: x_com = (m_1*x_1 + m_2*x_2 + ... + m_n*x_n) / (m_1 + m_2 + ... + m_n)where x_com is the position of the center of mass, m_i is the mass of each component, and x_i is the position of each component relative to a chosen reference point.

4. Can the lowest center of mass of a container + fluid change?

Yes, the lowest center of mass of a container + fluid can change if the mass distribution or position of the components within the container changes. For example, if more fluid is added to one side of the container, the center of mass will shift towards that side.

5. How does the shape of the container affect the lowest center of mass?

The shape of the container can affect the lowest center of mass by changing the distribution of mass within the system. For example, a wider and shorter container will have a lower center of mass compared to a taller and narrower container with the same amount of fluid.