Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LTSpice question, dependent sources.

1. Aug 30, 2009 #1

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I use LTSpice, and vaguely remember there was a way to make a voltage (or current) source depend on either another source in the circuit, or to follow some function of time. I think it's either a source parameter, or a command line placed in the schematic.

Does anybody know how to do this? I tried searching the LTSpice Yahoo group but didn't find what I'm after.

TIA,

RB

FYI, I am trying to model the behavior of a NiCd battery in a charger. I have an equation for battery voltage vs. charge state.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2009 #2
    Hello Redbelly,

Sure enough, there are three basic dependent sources:

1. e - Has two inputs and two outputs. Open the symbol and put a gain value in for value 1
    2. bv - Arbitrary voltage source. Open the symbol and type V=v(node) into value, it will output the voltage at [node]. Likewise, you can make it current dependent by entering V=i(part)
    3. bi - Arbitrary current source. Open the symbol and type I=v(node) or I=i(part) into value.

Mike

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks Mike! And I see that bv and bi can be defined with any arbitrary function, which is just what I need.

Thanks again,

Mark

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook