Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Lunar versus Solar orbit at solstices

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1
    Disclaimer: The questions below were raised by an article that's most definitely pseudoscience. The questions themselves have nothing to do with what makes it "pseudo", though, so don't let that put you off, please. :)​

Quoting from [crackpot link removed by mentor] (I'd advise you only to read it in full if you feel that your eye-rolling musculature is in need of a proper workout...)

- Firstly, is this true at all? (Many of the other "facts" are misrepresentations or outright lies.)
    - If it is true, is this a significant datum, or simply a natural (though not immediately obvious) result of the fundamental dynamics of the Sun-Earth-Moon system and the perspective from which we observe it?
    - If it is significant, is it genuinely "peculiar", as the author would have use believe, or is there a ready explanation for it?
    - If it is "peculiar"...

Well, I'll halt my train of thought there for now, and continue it at a later point, in the unlikely event that the answers to the preceding questions all turn out to be "yes".

TIA! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. N/A. N/A. N/A.

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Nope. The Moon's orbit about the Earth is very complicated and has many perturbations and irregularities. It certainly doesn't rise in exactly the same place in midwinter as the Sun does in midsummer. This can actually be seen just by looking at the period for Lunar nodes, which is about 18.6 years. If the Moon's orbit slowly precesses over time, then its location on the horizon that it rises and sets at will also change. From wiki:

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_node

Since we don't allow discussions debunking pseudoscience, I'm going to have to lock this thread. Your best bet is just to avoid sites like that altogether. Unless you just want a good laugh, of course.:-p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook