M.E. Undergrad looking for guidance.

In summary, an engineering undergraduate (mechanical) is trying to determine what his career should be. He is considering a number of options, including bio-tech and engineering, but is unsure which one to pursue. He is looking for guidance from professionals, and would appreciate any suggestions.
unique_persona
Hello professionals and physics forum users,

I am an engineering undergraduate (mechanical) and I was hoping you could shed some light for me. Currently I am:
-engaged in the Formula SAE team at my university
-Former Military officer candidate (

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello professionals and physics forum users,

I am an engineering undergraduate (mechanical) and I was hoping you could shed some light for me. Currently I am:
-engaged in the Formula SAE team at my university
-Former Military officer candidate (injuried so I am inactive)
-honors student
-considering joining the construction management team
-etc...point is I am trying to stand out as much as possible

Since I am in California, I was hoping that I might be able to work in San Jose or SF to kick start my career.

I want to travel as much as I can during my career. (Eventually work in as many major American cities as I can)

I was hoping that you can tell me which way I should take my career. I was hoping to go Bio-tech ...however I was hoping you can guide me in the direction I should go.
-Family ..not a problem I want to remain on my own
-family plans...no
-childeren..no
-debt...none.

Before you do anything else. take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (for the Engineer in Training certificate). Having the EIT certificate may make getting a PE certificate practical later.

That said, your opportunities are WIDE OPEN. I am biased because I'm very much into the control systems field. I suggest getting into robotics. Firms like GM, Ford, Caterpillar, offer interesting work, with as little or as much travel as you can stand.

Let me state that while you may not have any family obligations or debt, living on the road is a rough life. It can be very lonely, so I strongly recommend you pay attention to your health and take care of yourself. Most people who do it last a few years and then burn out.

So, what's the difficulty? I don't see one.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Before you do anything else. take the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (for the Engineer in Training certificate). Having the EIT certificate may make getting a PE certificate practical later.

That said, your opportunities are WIDE OPEN. I am biased because I'm very much into the control systems field. I suggest getting into robotics. Firms like GM, Ford, Caterpillar, offer interesting work, with as little or as much travel as you can stand.

Let me state that while you may not have any family obligations or debt, living on the road is a rough life. It can be very lonely, so I strongly recommend you pay attention to your health and take care of yourself. Most people who do it last a few years and then burn out.
Ok I understand that the FE is key; but will I be able to find a job that allows me to travel across the US .What kind of engineering/tech companies will allow that.

I know Google is a major company that might allow it but I getting hired by them is a shot in the dark and they only look for the top students from around the world. I have no chance in hell

unique_persona, what is your question? What do you need help with?

PeterDonis said:
unique_persona, what is your question? What do you need help with?

-I am hoping you can tell me how I can join a company that allows travel...
-what should I do to stand out for the company?
-Are there companies that I am looking for available?
-etc

I am really nervous because I am a first generation oldest child of an immigrant family..I have no guidance

Allow it? Hah! Once you get a bit of experience and training, the hard part will be refusing the travel. Field service engineers, and sales engineers practically live out of their suitcases. It is not a bad place to start, seeing how customers use the products the company makes, where the product documentation falls short, and also training staff there. But it is a hard life.

If you show an aptitude for training and a willingness to travel, there are companies that will send you all over the globe. Any large company such as Siemens, Rockwell, GE, ABB, Emerson, etc. will be eager to send you. Many large engineering companies are also eager to have people they can send to a job site. Even many smaller companies that produce parts used globally will need to send people places for technical support.

The problem is finding a job that DOESN'T have loads of travel in it. I have personally set a limit of six overnight trips a year for business. I will refuse to do any more than that because I do not like being away from my family for long. My wife and children mean a lot to me and frankly the hotels, restaurants, and suitcase life get tiresome.

Some quick suggestions:

(1) Your university most likely has a career counseling office or something similar; they will have lots of resources to help you in finding a job after you graduate. (A good one will also be able to help you prepare your resume and practice interviewing, both of which are important skills.)

(2) Other people on the Formula SAE team will probably also have good information on job hunting; that team can also be a good way to make contacts in companies that might be interested in you.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
Allow it? Hah! Once you get a bit of experience and training, the hard part will be refusing the travel. Field service engineers, and sales engineers practically live out of their suitcases. It is not a bad place to start, seeing how customers use the products the company makes, where the product documentation falls short, and also training staff there. But it is a hard life.

If you show an aptitude for training and a willingness to travel, there are companies that will send you all over the globe. Any large company such as Siemens, Rockwell, GE, ABB, Emerson, etc. will be eager to send you. Many large engineering companies are also eager to have people they can send to a job site. Even many smaller companies that produce parts used globally will need to send people places for technical support.

The problem is finding a job that DOESN'T have loads of travel in it. I have personally set a limit of six overnight trips a year for business. I will refuse to do any more than that because I do not like being away from my family for long. My wife and children mean a lot to me and frankly the hotels, restaurants, and suitcase life get tiresome.
Wow thank you :) So as a M.E. I will be set. I speak 5 languages and now I am learning Mandarin as well to know a total of 6 :)

I feel better now ..thank you

PeterDonis said:
Some quick suggestions:

(1) Your university most likely has a career counseling office or something similar; they will have lots of resources to help you in finding a job after you graduate. (A good one will also be able to help you prepare your resume and practice interviewing, both of which are important skills.)

(2) Other people on the Formula SAE team will probably also have good information on job hunting; that team can also be a good way to make contacts in companies that might be interested in you.

1) I go to a really good engineering school so I feel safe on that aspect.

2) I am also looking to join the Solar decathlon team as well (only 20 teams from around the world are in it). So I will join more clubs and team for notoriety.

any other tips?

thank you btw

unique_persona said:
any other tips?

If you're not a senior this year, look for a good summer internship. (The career office can help you with finding those too--it's a lot like looking for a full-time job.)

unique_persona said:
thank you btw

You're welcome! Good luck!

JakeBrodskyPE has just about said it all. Most companies are continually pressing engineers to travel, to take short term assignments in other cities/countries, etc., so if you tell the recruiter you want to travel, this will likely be a big plus for you.

1. What career options are available for M.E. undergraduates?

M.E. undergraduates have a wide range of career options, including mechanical engineer, design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, and quality control engineer. They can also work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and construction.

2. What skills should an M.E. undergraduate develop during their studies?

An M.E. undergraduate should develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. They should also have a good understanding of mathematics, physics, and computer-aided design software. Communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in the field.

3. How can I gain practical experience as an M.E. undergraduate?

There are several ways to gain practical experience as an M.E. undergraduate. You can participate in internships or co-op programs, volunteer for research projects, join engineering clubs and organizations, or work on personal projects. These experiences will help you apply your theoretical knowledge and develop practical skills.

4. What graduate degree options are available for M.E. undergraduates?

M.E. undergraduates can pursue a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, which typically takes 1-2 years to complete. They can also pursue a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mechanical Engineering, which can take 4-5 years. These graduate degrees can lead to advanced career opportunities in research, academia, and industry.

5. How can I stand out as an M.E. undergraduate in the job market?

To stand out as an M.E. undergraduate in the job market, you should focus on developing a strong academic record, gaining practical experience, and building a professional network. You can also consider obtaining certifications in specialized areas, participating in professional development programs, and staying updated on industry trends and advancements.