Help Solve Part C of Vector Question for Cathy

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about a vector question involving two trains, A and B, leaving from the same station at different times and traveling at different speeds. The question includes parts on finding the velocity and displacement of B relative to A, and solving for the time when the trains are 23 km apart. The summary also includes a correction to a mistake in part b) and the final solution of 18 minutes for part c).
CathyLou
Hi.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please explain to me part c of this M1 level vector question as I am really stuck.

Two trains A and B leave the same station, O, at 10 a.m. and travel along straight horizontal tracks. A travels with constant speed 80 Km/h due east and B travels with constant speed 52 km/h in the direction (5i + 12j) where i and j are unit vectors due east and due north respectively.

(a) Show that the velocity of B is (20i + 48j) km/h.

I got this part ok.

(b) Find the displacement vector of B from A at 10:15 a.m.

I got this as (15i + 12j).

Given that the trains are 23 km apart t minutes after 10 a.m.

(c) find the value of t correct the nearest whole number.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't part b) be 15i - 12j ?

For part c) you need the displacement vector from B to A (or A to B) in terms of t. Then set the magnitude of that vector equal to 23km and solve for t.

Thanks for your help.

I got 15 hours.

Is this correct?

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Thanks for your help.

I got 15 hours.

Is this correct?

Cathy

No. Can you show your calculations?

Ok.

I got that the position vector of A in terms of t is 80ti and that the position vector of B in terms of t = (20ti + 48tj).

I then subtracted B from A and got (60ti - 48tj).

23^2 = 529 and so the square root of ((60t)^2 - (48t)^2)) = 529

1296t^2 = 279841

t = 14.69444444 hours or 15 hours to the nearest whole number.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
23^2 = 529 and so the square root of ((60t)^2 - (48t)^2)) = 529

1296t^2 = 279841

It should be [tex]\sqrt{{60t}^2 + {(-48t)}^2} = 23[/tex]

Remember that when getting the magnitude of the vector, to take the entire component... ie 60ti -48tj = 60ti + (-48t)j... so you need to take (60t)^2 + (-48t)^2 under the square root.

Then you should square both sides and simplify and get

5904t^2 = 529

But this gives the time in hours. The question asks for the minutes, so convert the number you get here into minutes...

Thanks so much for your help.

I got 18 minutes.

Cathy

CathyLou said:
Thanks so much for your help.

I got 18 minutes.

Cathy

Yup, that's it. no prob.

1. What is Part C of the vector question for Cathy?

Part C of the vector question for Cathy is the third and final part of the question, which typically involves finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector.

2. How do I solve Part C of the vector question for Cathy?

To solve Part C, you will need to use trigonometric functions and the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. It is important to set up your equations correctly and carefully consider the given information and known values.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving Part C of the vector question for Cathy?

Some common mistakes when solving Part C include forgetting to account for vector components, using the wrong trigonometric function, and not converting units properly. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are accounted for.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve Part C of the vector question for Cathy?

Yes, a calculator can be a helpful tool when solving Part C. However, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved in order to use the calculator effectively and check for any potential errors.

5. Are there any tips for solving Part C of the vector question for Cathy?

One tip for solving Part C is to draw a diagram to visualize the vectors and their components. It can also be helpful to label all known values and variables and carefully set up your equations before plugging in values. Additionally, always double-check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.