Where is Particle B Located in Relation to the Center of Mass?

• Thread starter dnjwilson
  • Start date
In summary, the coordinates of particle B must be (2.57 cm, 5.5 cm) in order for the center of mass to be located at (2.0 cm, 5.5 cm). This is found by using the formula x_c=(m_1x_1+m_2x_2)/(m_1+m_2), where m_1 and m_2 are the masses of particles A and B respectively, and x_1 and x_2 are their respective coordinates. The same process is used to find the y-coordinate of particle B.
dnjwilson
Particle A is at the origin and has a mass of 32.2 g. Particle B has a mass of 10.0 g. Where must particle B be located if the coordinates of the center of mass are (x, y) = (2.0 cm, 5.5 cm)?

(M1 x 1)+(M2 x2) / M1+M2

I have worked this out so many times and continue to get the wrong answer. Heres what I have:

solving for Xb =
(32.2 x 0) + (10.0 x 2.0) / 32.2 + 10.0 = 2.57 cm can anyone help me, I don't know if I am setting up the equation wrong or if my calculations are just wrong but the answers keeps getting denied online.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hoi!

Where did you get this from?

[tex](M1 x 1)+(M2 x2) / M1+M2[/tex]

I'm thinking you should consider the following:

[tex]x_{c}=\frac{\sum m_{i}x_{i}}{M}[/tex]

[tex]y_{c}=\frac{\sum m_{i}y_{i}}{M}[/tex]

You took the wrong value.
We don't know xb and yb

We know centre of mass where is it. x(bar) (or) xc=2, y(bar) or yc=5.5

Use xc=(m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) . You can find x2.
yc formula is similar as xc. You can find y2.

1. What is the equation (M1 x 1)+(M2 x2) / M1+M2 used for?

The equation (M1 x 1)+(M2 x2) / M1+M2 is used to calculate the weighted average of two variables, where M1 and M2 represent the weights of the two variables.

2. How do you calculate the weighted average using this equation?

To calculate the weighted average using this equation, you would first multiply the value of M1 by 1, and the value of M2 by 2. Then, add these two values together. Next, divide the sum by the total weight, which is the sum of M1 and M2. The resulting value is the weighted average.

3. Can this equation be used for more than two variables?

No, this equation is specifically designed for two variables with weights M1 and M2. If you have more than two variables, you would need to use a different equation or modify this equation to include additional variables.

4. What is the significance of using weights in this equation?

The use of weights in this equation allows you to assign importance to each variable. This is helpful when you want to calculate an average that takes into account the relative significance of each variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

One limitation of this equation is that the weights of the variables must be known. If the weights are unknown or cannot be accurately determined, this equation may not provide an accurate weighted average. Additionally, this equation may not be suitable for all types of data and may need to be modified for specific scenarios.