Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Macroscopic Objects at Relativistic Speed

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    How much energy would be required to accelerate something the size of the space station to the same speed as protons colliding at the LHC?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried making the computation?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    Frankly, I don't know how.

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to compute kinetic (or total) energy in relativity?

How would the ratio of the proton and ISS energies look in classical mechanics?

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5
    I have no idea.

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your physics background? Without knowing more about where you are at and where you need to go, it is difficult to help you. Of course, we could simply give you the final result, but that is not the kind of spirit we are trying to foster, which is to help people think for themselves rather than to simply provide answers.

8. Mar 2, 2015 #7
    I have no physics background.

9. Mar 3, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you have no physics background, it would help to know what kind of answer you are looking for. If we told you "ten zillion ergs", would that be meaningful?

10. Mar 3, 2015 #9
    How much greater would the energy requirement be than what humanity has ever generated up to this point? Something like that.

11. Mar 3, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would require roughly 80% of all of the energy produced by the Sun in one second. The Sun produces roughly 1014 times the world electricity production. With current energy production rate, it would take of the order of a million years to generate this amount of energy.

12. Mar 3, 2015 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Wouldn't you rather learn a little bit about special relativity, the foundation of this knowledge, rather than having this piece of useless information? I bet that you won't even get to use this information on Jeopardy!

Zz.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook