Magnetic bar rotates rather than oscillates when magnetic fi

• Thread starter Mddrill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, when a magnetic field is applied to a magnetic bar suspended between Helmholtz coils, it will initially oscillate due to Earth's magnetic field. However, when the apparatus is pointed south and 1 V is applied to the coils, the magnetic bar will begin to spin instead of oscillate. This is due to the difference in the restoring forces acting on the bar when it is spinning compared to when it is oscillating. The equations provided, though not directly relevant to this problem, demonstrate the complexity of the system. The spinning of the bar is caused by the initial stronger force on the bar to start it turning, and the slower, weaker force to slow it down and turn it around. Eventually the eddy currents formed
Mddrill

Homework Statement

In my lab experiment we suspended a magnetic bar in between to Helmholtz coils and pointed it north. it then began to oscillate because of Earth's magnetic field. Then we pointed the apparatus south and when we applied 1 V to the Helmholtz coils the magnetic bar began to spin rather than oscillates

Does anyone know why this is?

Homework Equations

## τ= -mBθ##
Tau is torque of the bar, m is magnetic moment, B is magnetic field, Theta is angle of oscillation

$$1/T^2 = CB_{tot} = C[B_h +(0.72Nμ_0I_c)/R]$$

T is period of oscillation, C is a constant which is unknown, B_tot is magnetic field of Earth plus magnetic field of the Helmholtz coils, N is the number of turns of the coils (200), mu sub zero is the constant 4π*10^-7 T*m/A I sub c is the current through the coil, and R is the radius of the coils (10.5 cm)

I don't know if these equations are relevant or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be an harmonic oscillator problem with a twist (literally). Rather than a linear system (linear as in up/down, not the differential equation which is linear for both systems and pretty much the same equation) this one works with angular momentum.

You might consider where your damping force comes from. Also remember spinning is a form of oscillation.

Another hint: What is the impulse response to a magnetic field impinging on a non-perfect conductor?

Jeff Rosenbury said:
Another hint: What is the impulse response to a magnetic field impinging on a non-perfect conductor?

Sorry but I have no idea what either of your posts mean. We havnt gotten to learning about magnets in the lecture class, but were doing it in the lab.

I don't know anything about magnets and I can't really figure this out, even with a hint, because I know as much about magnets as someone who has never taken physics in their life.

Mddrill said:
Sorry but I have no idea what either of your posts mean. We havnt gotten to learning about magnets in the lecture class, but were doing it in the lab.

I don't know anything about magnets and I can't really figure this out, even with a hint, because I know as much about magnets as someone who has never taken physics in their life.
When a magnetic field impinges on a conductor it sets up electric currents which try to exactly counter the impinging fields. This actually happens for perfect conductors, but happens slower and with losses with poorer conductors.

Because of this when you initially turn the magnet on, the field will seem stronger than it is a few microseconds later. Thus there will be more initial force on the magnet to start it turning than there is to slow it and turn it around. Once the magnet starts spinning a full circle the restoring force starts pulling equally in both directions (divided in time). Thus the magnet spins.

Eventually the eddy currents formed by the impinging magnetic field should slow the spinning (magnetic braking). But this works better at higher speeds, so it could take a while and the friction of your axial support may dominate.

1. Why does a magnetic bar rotate rather than oscillate when exposed to a magnetic field?

This is due to the torque applied to the bar by the magnetic field. The bar experiences a force that causes it to rotate, rather than oscillate back and forth.

2. Does the strength of the magnetic field affect the rotation of the bar?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the rotation of the bar. A stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the bar, causing it to rotate more quickly.

3. How does the orientation of the bar impact its rotation in a magnetic field?

The orientation of the bar can greatly affect its rotation. If the bar is parallel to the magnetic field lines, it will experience the maximum force and rotate the most. If it is perpendicular to the field lines, there will be no rotation.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact the rotation of the magnetic bar?

Yes, other factors such as the shape and size of the bar, the material it is made of, and the presence of any other magnetic or electric fields can all influence the rotation of the bar in a magnetic field.

5. Can the rotation of the magnetic bar be predicted or controlled?

Yes, the rotation of the bar can be predicted and controlled by understanding the relationship between the magnetic field and the bar's orientation. This allows for the manipulation of the bar's rotation for various applications in engineering and technology.