Can magnets be a cheap and eco-friendly source of energy?

In summary, my brother's idea is that high powered magnets can power a turbine to create electricity, which can then be used to powering something like an MRI machine. However, the cost of running the MRI machine and the energy put into power the magnets would be similar, so it's not a very practical idea.
lax1113
Hey guys,
I have not taken a course in magnets, so I cannot provide specifics, and this idea might be completely insane. However, my brother was asking me about the idea that magnets could power a turbine, condense a spring, whatever, that would generate heat, and would make energy. The idea is similar to most other power plants and ideas, like nuclear fission how the reaction spins a turbine to create energy, except that it would be a magnet powering it. He works at a hospital and knows that MRI machines use really high powered magnets and it doesn't cost a lot to run, so he figured maybe running high powered magnets to run a turbine could create cheap and very safe/environment friendly energy.
Personally, it seems to me that the energy put into power the magnet would be similar to the energy output, but like i said, I don't really know.

Please any advice would be great, I don't mind at all if you just destroy the idea, because like i said, i thin it sounds kind of foolish, but he is curious, and I am too a little bit.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice try...It's pretty much perpetual motion, won't work. Sorry

I thought MRI's cost a lot to run. Magnets are up to like 3 Tesla, which requires a lot of current through the magnets. You can do that either through pumping a lot of power into it, or cooling the magnets to make them superconducting.

Neither is really cheap as far as I can tell.

MRI machines do cost a lot to run. I did a project involving cooling this MRI machine: http://www.fonar.us/su_siting.htm

Altogether, it demands more than 150 kW. That's about $15 an hour plus the monthly demand charge of about $2000.

If the machine is running half the time during the work day, that would be about $3200 a month to run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
lax1113 said:
However, my brother was asking me about the idea that magnets could power a turbine, condense a spring, whatever, that would generate heat, and would make energy.
Consider this: how does compressing a spring once generate energy? A magnet is basically just a spring with a different relationship between force and distance. Conservation of energy applies.

lax1113 said:
The idea is similar to most other power plants and ideas, like nuclear fission how the reaction spins a turbine to create energy, except that it would be a magnet powering it.

There is a huge "yada yada yada" in the middle of that one.

And, when the turbine spins to "create energy," it doesn't. It transforms the kinetic energy of the spinning turbine into electric energy (electric current). ANd to do this you spin coils of wires through, guess what? Magnetic fields! So you'd save a lot of time by using your high powered magnets to spin around a coil of wire, instead of using them to turn the turbine first. And what's going to spin those magnets (they must move you see, otherwise no current is created)? Use something like an MRI machine? IT needs an electric current. So plug it into the current that your spinning magnets are creating, and there is your PPM! Except it doesn't work, since friction, heat, noise, and other nonconservative effects remove energy from the system, and the machine grinds to a halt in...what, seconds?

Spinning magnets in a field is an electric motor. It is not practical to use an electric motor to turn a generator cause there is loss and they are sort of the same thing. Kinda like using a big fan to spin a windmill to create power. It will work, but its going to cost you.

It seems like we have an answer, so I'm closing.

Related to Can magnets be a cheap and eco-friendly source of energy?

1. What is magnetic cheap energy?

Magnetic cheap energy is a type of renewable energy that is generated by harnessing the power of magnetic fields. This energy is considered cheap because it does not require expensive resources or materials to produce, and can be easily accessed in many locations.

2. How is magnetic cheap energy generated?

Magnetic cheap energy is generated through the use of magnets and coils. When a magnet moves past a coil, it creates an electric current. This current can then be converted into usable energy, such as electricity.

3. What are the benefits of using magnetic cheap energy?

There are several benefits to using magnetic cheap energy. It is a renewable source of energy, meaning it will never run out. It is also clean and does not produce harmful emissions like fossil fuels. Additionally, it is a cost-effective option for producing energy, making it more accessible to communities.

4. How does magnetic cheap energy compare to other forms of renewable energy?

Magnetic cheap energy has several advantages over other forms of renewable energy. For example, it is more reliable than solar or wind energy, as it can be generated consistently regardless of weather conditions. It also takes up less space than other renewable energy sources, making it a more viable option for urban areas.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using magnetic cheap energy?

One potential disadvantage of magnetic cheap energy is that it currently has a lower efficiency compared to other sources of energy. This means that a large amount of energy is needed to generate a small amount of usable energy. However, research and development in this field is ongoing and may improve efficiency in the future.