Designing a DC-Excited E-Core Magnetic: Calculating Characteristics

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the characteristics of a magnetic core that is excited by a direct current source. The desired characteristics include the winding wire area, current density, window utilization factor, and current in the wire. The individual also wants to use an E-core for their design and is interested in finding the flux density, inductance, and number of turns needed for a specific current level. The recommended tool for this task is Infolytica's MagNet, which offers a free version and comprehensive documentation.
Tmaczorro2
Hi, I would like to calculate the characterics of a magnetic that is excited by a direct current[dc] source. I aim to use a E-core for my design.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of characteristics and what kind of core material?

Hi, I would like to calculate the characterics of a magnetic core that is excited by a direct current[dc] source. These characterics are winding wire area[diameter], Current desity, window utilization factor ku, current in the wire. I aim to use a E-core for my design.

Other than ku, none of the characteristics you mentioned affect the core. What you probably mean is you want to find the flux density in the core for a particular dc current or peak current. Is that correct. You probably also want to find out the inductance and the number ofturns that will give that particular inductance.

The wire sizes will depend on how much is the dc current level and hence current density J can be calc'd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Designing a DC-Excited E-Core Magnetic: Calculating Characteristics

1. What is the purpose of designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic?

The purpose of designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic is to create a strong and stable magnetic field that can be used for various applications, such as in motors, generators, and transformers. DC-excited E-core magnets are commonly used in industries where precise and consistent magnetic fields are required.

2. What are the important characteristics to consider when calculating a DC-excited E-core magnetic?

The important characteristics to consider when calculating a DC-excited E-core magnetic include the number of turns in the coil, the cross-sectional area of the core, the permeability of the core material, and the current flowing through the coil. These factors will determine the strength and stability of the magnetic field.

3. How do you calculate the number of turns in the coil for a DC-excited E-core magnetic?

The number of turns in the coil can be calculated using the formula N = (Hc x Lc)/I, where N is the number of turns, Hc is the desired magnetic field strength, Lc is the length of the core, and I is the current flowing through the coil. This formula takes into account the magnetic field intensity and the length of the core to determine the required number of turns.

4. What is the role of the core material in designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic?

The core material plays a crucial role in the design of a DC-excited E-core magnetic as it determines the permeability and magnetic properties of the core. A high-permeability material, such as iron or nickel, is preferred for E-core magnets as it can increase the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic?

Yes, there are some limitations and challenges in designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic. One of the main challenges is achieving a uniform magnetic field across the entire core. This can be affected by factors such as the shape and size of the core, the distance between the core and the coil, and any imperfections in the core material. Additionally, designing a DC-excited E-core magnetic for high-power applications can be challenging due to the need for larger coils and higher currents, which can lead to increased heating and losses.