Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic core

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    Hi, I would like to calculate the characterics of a magnetic that is excited by a direct current[dc] source. I aim to use a E-core for my design.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    What kind of characteristics and what kind of core material?

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4
    Hi, I would like to calculate the characterics of a magnetic core that is excited by a direct current[dc] source. These characterics are winding wire area[diameter], Current desity, window utilization factor ku, current in the wire. I aim to use a E-core for my design.

6. Mar 1, 2008 #5
    Other than ku, none of the characteristics you mentioned affect the core. What you probably mean is you want to find the flux density in the core for a particular dc current or peak current. Is that correct. You probably also want to find out the inductance and the number ofturns that will give that particular inductance.

The wire sizes will depend on how much is the dc current level and hence current density J can be calc'd.

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?