1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field and electric polarizability in water

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    Does applying magnetic field to pure water change it's electric polarizability ?
    I assume that the thermal motion of water molecules in a magnetic field will induce some changes to the partial charge distribution.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not that I know of. I have always dealt with water as a simple isotropic medium. One could add effects like anisotropy or non-linear polarization but both of these do not mix the electric and magentic fields. The anisotropy and the non-linearity of the permittivity would be dependent upon the electric fields. I would expect that if you were to analyze the situation due to the Lorentzian force on thermal particles that the effects would cancel out due to the random nature of the velocities.

4. Mar 11, 2010 #3
    In bulk state, I affirm.
    But on atomic scale, I think that the molecular interaction energy will change, and so the strength of hydrogen bonds.
    Any thoughts ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook