Magnetic field and wire current

You should find that the force due to gravity (mg) is equal to the magnetic force (F=ILB). Then you can solve for B.In summary, a long, straight wire with a linear mass density of 45g/m is suspended in a uniform magnetic field pointing vertically downward. A 7.0A current in the wire causes a horizontal magnetic force that deflects it to an equilibrium angle of 10 degrees. To find the strength of the magnetic field B, the force equation F=ILB can be used after balancing the forces on a free body diagram, where the force due to gravity (mg) is equal to the magnetic force.
dmsgo89

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire with linear mass density of 45g/m is suspended by threads, as shown in the figure . There is a uniform magnetic field pointing vertically downward. A 7.0A current in the wire experiences a horizontal magnetic force that deflects it to an equilibrium angle of 10 degree. What is the strength of the magnetic field B?

Homework Equations

B=(U_o I) / (2 *3.14 * r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have U_0 given, I given. but can't find r.

How can find r to get B?

Attachments

• jfk_Figure_24_P59.jpg
    jfk_Figure_24_P59.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation that you have quoted gives the magnetic field produced by a very long wire. It is not relevant here. What equation do you know that gives the force on a current-carrying wire segment in a magnetic field?

F=ILB maybe?

That's the right equation.
The next step is to draw a free body diagram and balance the forces.

I would suggest using the equation B=(U_o I) / (2 *3.14 * r) to solve for the unknown variable, r. This equation relates the magnetic field strength (B) to the permeability of free space (U_o), the current (I), and the distance between the wire and the magnetic field (r). In this case, the wire is suspended by threads, so the distance r would be the length of the wire. Therefore, you can rearrange the equation to solve for r by multiplying both sides by (2 *3.14 * r) and then dividing by (U_o I). This will give you the value of r, which you can then use to calculate the strength of the magnetic field B.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of current through a wire.

2. How is a magnetic field related to wire current?

A wire carrying an electric current creates a magnetic field around it. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. How does the direction of wire current affect the magnetic field?

The direction of the current in the wire determines the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field around a wire carrying current will form concentric circles perpendicular to the wire, with the direction of the field following the right-hand rule.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the distance from the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that doubling the distance from the wire will result in a quarter of the original magnetic field strength.

5. How can the magnetic field around a wire be increased?

The magnetic field around a wire can be increased by increasing the amount of current flowing through the wire, or by coiling the wire into a solenoid shape. The use of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, can also increase the strength of the magnetic field.