Magnetic field around a finite wire with different diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation where the magnetic field (B) in a fixed point of space changes when the diameter of a wire with fixed current is changed. However, the participants question the accuracy of this observation, stating that the magnetic field is only affected by the current and not the wire's diameter. They also discuss potential measurement errors due to the small scale of the wire and measurement distance. Additionally, they question the placement of a thicker wire on the same position as a thinner wire and suggest that part of the thicker wire may be too far from the fixed point.
Agnelo
In my simulation I have a wire with a fixed current flowing, I observed if I change the diameter of the wire the magnetic field (B) in a fixed point of the space also changes, is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Agnelo said:
In my simulation I have a wire with a fixed current flowing, I observed if I change the diameter of the wire the magnetic field (B) in a fixed point of the space also changes, is it correct?
That does not seem correct, as the magnetic field depends only the current.

Yeah, I am agree, only the length affects the measurement, but in this case the length does not change, only the diameter, I don't understand what's wrong...

I have a wire with a 0.05A current over a measurement point at 0.03mm (border of wire), the length of wire is 5.08mm and the diameter is 0.025mm or 0.05mm...

Agnelo said:
I have a wire with a 0.05A current over a measurement point at 0.03mm (border of wire), the length of wire is 5.08mm and the diameter is 0.025mm or 0.05mm...

with everything on such a tiny scale, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just measurement error

1) why such small lengths of wire and measurement distance and current ?
2) how are you measuring the B field strength ?

Agnelo said:

How did you place the thick wire on the same position where the thin wire was? Oh yes, nearest point 0.03 mm from the fixed point ... so part of the thick wire is too far from the fixed point.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges and can exert a force on other moving charges.

2. How is a magnetic field created around a finite wire?

A magnetic field is created around a finite wire when an electric current flows through it. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current and its strength is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What is the difference between a finite wire and an infinite wire in terms of the magnetic field?

In an infinite wire, the magnetic field has a constant strength and direction along its length. In a finite wire, the magnetic field is strongest near the wire and decreases as you move further away from it.

4. How does the diameter of a wire affect the magnetic field around it?

The diameter of a wire affects the magnetic field around it by changing the amount of current that can flow through it. A larger diameter allows for more current and a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller diameter restricts the flow of current and weakens the magnetic field.

5. How do you measure the strength of a magnetic field around a finite wire?

The strength of a magnetic field around a finite wire can be measured using a magnetometer. This device detects the direction and strength of a magnetic field and can be used to map out the field around a wire of different diameters.