Magnetic Field at a point between two capacitors

V is potential difference. Vemf stands for electromotive force, which is related to voltage. The equation dE/dt = 1300 V/s means that the electric field is changing at a rate of 1300 volts per second. To find the magnitude of the magnetic field between the plates at a distance r = 3.0 cm from the center, we can use the equation B = [μ0id/(2∏R2)]r. Plugging in the known values, we get B = [μ0(5.2E-10)/(2∏(0.12)^2)](0.03) = 3.39E-15 T. This is the correct answer.
Renaldo

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor has circular plates of radius 12.0 cm that are separated by a distance of 4.0 mm. The potential across the capacitor is increased at a constant rate of 1300 V/s. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field between the plates at a distance r = 3.0 cm from the center.

Homework Equations

id = ε0A(dE/dt)

B = [μ0id/(2∏R2)]r

The Attempt at a Solution

id = ε0A(dE/dt)

dE/dt = 1300 V/s
A = ∏R2
R = 0.12 m
ε0 = 8.85E-12

id = 5.2E-10

B = [μ0id/(2∏R2)]r

r = 0.03 m
R = 0.12 m
id = 5.2E-10
μ0 = 1.26E-6

B = 2.17E-16

Correct answer is 3.39E-15

How do I get there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Renaldo said:
dE/dt = 1300 V/s

Note that on the left you have the rate of change of E, but on the right you have the value of the rate of change of V.

[I get an answer that differs from the stated correct answer by a factor of 16.]

I thought E stood for Vemf. Does it stands for Electric field?

E is electric field.

I would first check my calculations to ensure they are correct. I would also make sure that the units are consistent throughout the calculations. Additionally, I would double check the given information to make sure all the necessary variables are included. If my calculations still do not match the correct answer, I would consider the possibility of any simplifying assumptions made and whether they are valid in this scenario. I would also check for any potential errors in the given information or equations used. If necessary, I would consult with colleagues or references to help troubleshoot the issue.

Related to Magnetic Field at a point between two capacitors

1. What is a magnetic field at a point between two capacitors?

A magnetic field at a point between two capacitors is a region of space where a magnetic force is exerted on charged particles. This field is created by the flow of electric current through the capacitors.

2. How is the magnetic field calculated at a point between two capacitors?

The magnetic field at a point between two capacitors can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the capacitors, and r is the distance from the point to the center of the capacitors.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field between two capacitors?

The strength of the magnetic field between two capacitors is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the capacitors, the distance between the capacitors, and the permeability of the surrounding medium.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field at a point between two capacitors change?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field at a point between two capacitors can change depending on the direction of the current flow through the capacitors. It can also change if the distance or position of the capacitors is altered.

5. How does the magnetic field at a point between two capacitors relate to the electric field?

The magnetic field and electric field are related through the electromagnetic force. The electric field is created by the distribution of electric charges, while the magnetic field is created by the flow of electric current. In a circuit with capacitors, both fields interact with each other to create electromagnetic waves.