1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field at a point due to two parallel wires

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two long parallel wires are a center-to-center distance of 4.90 cm apart and carry equal anti-parallel currents of 3.70 A. Find the magnetic field intensity at the point P which is equidistant from the wires. (R = 10.00 cm).

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/3812/twoparallelwires.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

dB = μo*I*(dL[itex]\vec{}[/itex]xdR[itex]\vec{}[/itex])/(4*pi*r^3)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well first I tried multiplying the equation for magnetic field of an infinite line (μo*I/(2*pi*r) by two since there are two wires. then I realized that since the current is flowing in opposite directions, the y-component of the field, so to speak, would cancel out, and now I'm stuck.

Here is the solution, but I want to know how to arrive here (and more specifically I'd like to know why we're multiplying the infinite line equation by the y-component): d*I*μo/(2*pi*(R^2+ (d/2)^2)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi smithisize! :smile:
    no, if you draw a vector diagram (with arrows), you'll find the x components cancel out :wink:

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    Well, the vector equations for dr are R[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] -(d/2)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] and R[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+(d/2)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] therefore the vector sum states that the vertical component cancels out.

But, I ended up figuring it out. If you draw the b-field for the top wire, and manipulate theta (of the upper left corner of a triangle drawn on the top wire) a bit, you can end up with the proper configuration and see that where it all comes from.

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no, if you draw the arrows, you'll see that one goes to the left, and the other to the right,

so it's -R[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] +(d/2)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] and R[itex]\hat{i}[/itex]+(d/2)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook