1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field due to a solenoid.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Hi.
    I have a solenoid, of length l, radius r, which has n turns of copper wire wound on it, carries a current of I amperes, and has a ferromagnetic core of relative permeability μr. How do I determine the magnetic field at a point in free space, x meters from the center of the solenoid?
    Also, how to calculate the force of attraction experienced by a ferromagnetic substance(whose magnetic properties are known) due to the same solenoid, placed at that point?
    Thanks for any reply.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 1, 2013 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks.
    The problem I came upon was that the field inside the solenoid will be influenced by the permeability of the core whereas the point I wish to measure the field is in a medium of different permeability.
    I used B=μnI/l which gives the field inside the solenoid. For the field outside it, what expression should I use so as to switch over to the permeability of free space?

Can I use the below equation(total field by integrating the equation for a current loop) by just replacing μ° by μ°μr?
    B=(μ°/4∏)[nIr2/2(r2+x2)3/2]
    Wouldn't this mean the point is also in the same medium as the core?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's pretty much it yeah - remembering how the feld changes at the boundary ... you basically have materials with different refractive indexes.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook