Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field due to a solenoid.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Hi.
    I have a solenoid, of length l, radius r, which has n turns of copper wire wound on it, carries a current of I amperes, and has a ferromagnetic core of relative permeability μr. How do I determine the magnetic field at a point in free space, x meters from the center of the solenoid?
    Also, how to calculate the force of attraction experienced by a ferromagnetic substance(whose magnetic properties are known) due to the same solenoid, placed at that point?
    Thanks for any reply.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Nov 1, 2013 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks.
    The problem I came upon was that the field inside the solenoid will be influenced by the permeability of the core whereas the point I wish to measure the field is in a medium of different permeability.
    I used B=μnI/l which gives the field inside the solenoid. For the field outside it, what expression should I use so as to switch over to the permeability of free space?

Can I use the below equation(total field by integrating the equation for a current loop) by just replacing μ° by μ°μr?
    B=(μ°/4∏)[nIr2/2(r2+x2)3/2]
    Wouldn't this mean the point is also in the same medium as the core?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's pretty much it yeah - remembering how the feld changes at the boundary ... you basically have materials with different refractive indexes.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook