Magnetic field due to infinite plane

In summary, the magnitude and direction of the magnetic induction vector for an infinite plane carrying a current of linear density ##\textbf{i}## can be found using Ampere's circuital law. By considering a rectangular Amperian loop around a section of the plane, with the depth dimension penetrating the sheet on both sides, it can be deduced that the direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane and parallel to the sheet. The H field points in opposite directions on opposite sides of the plane, with a value of H = i/2, where i is in amp/m.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic induction vector ##\textbf{B}## of an infinite plane carrying a current of linear density ##\textbf{i}##; the vector ##\textbf{i}## is same at all points of the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do this with integration but I have seen the same question solved before. The solution was done using Ampere's circuital law. I seem to have forgotten the way it was solved. How can I do this using Ampere's circuital law. I don't even have the slightest idea about what shape should be the amperian loop.

If we divide the plane into thin infinite current carrying wire and consider wires at equal distances from the symmetrical axis, it can be deduced from symmetry that the direction of magnetic field is downwards towards the plane.

Thanks!

Attachments

• plane.png
    plane.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The following may be something like what you had in mind, so forgive any redundant observations, but:

Could you not run a rectangular Amperian loop around a section of plane of length L and depth D, D << L. The depth dimension penetrates the sheet on both sides. So then the current thru this loop is i*L and ampere's law gives 2L*H = i*L. The H field is parallel to the sheet but perpendicular to i everywher which is what I think you also concluded, with H = i/2, i in amp/m. The H field points in opposite directions on opposite sides of the plane.

Likes 1 person
Sorry for the late reply.

rude man said:
The following may be something like what you had in mind, so forgive any redundant observations, but:

Could you not run a rectangular Amperian loop around a section of plane of length L and depth D, D << L. The depth dimension penetrates the sheet on both sides. So then the current thru this loop is i*L and ampere's law gives 2L*H = i*L. The H field is parallel to the sheet but perpendicular to i everywher which is what I think you also concluded, with H = i/2, i in amp/m. The H field points in opposite directions on opposite sides of the plane.

Thanks rude man, that worked! :smile:

I did not conclude that the direction of field is perpendicular to ##i## but instead I said that it is perpendicular to the plane of infinite sheet which is completely wrong. :redface:

Thank you!

1. What is the equation for the magnetic field due to an infinite plane?

The equation for the magnetic field due to an infinite plane is given by B = μI/2πh, where μ is the permeability of the medium, I is the current passing through the plane, and h is the distance from the plane.

2. How does the distance from the plane affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field due to an infinite plane decreases as the distance from the plane increases. This relationship is inversely proportional, meaning that as the distance increases, the magnetic field strength decreases.

3. Can the magnetic field be negative?

No, the magnetic field cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity with direction, so it is always positive or zero.

4. How does the current passing through the plane affect the magnetic field?

The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the current passing through the plane. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases.

5. What is the direction of the magnetic field due to an infinite plane?

The direction of the magnetic field due to an infinite plane is perpendicular to the plane itself. This means that the field lines are parallel to the plane and point away from the plane on one side and towards the plane on the other side.