1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field from two wires and magnitude

1. May 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

can someone please help? im having major problems with physics right now :(

Each of the wires carries a current of magnitude I. The current in wire 1 is directed out of the page and that in wire 2 is directed into the page. The distance between the wires is 2d. The x axis is perpendicular to the line connecting the wires and is equidistant from the wires.

a.) Point M is located a distance 2d from the midpoint between the two wires. Find the magnitude of the magnetic field B_1M created at point M by wire 1.
    *Express your answer in terms of I, d, and appropriate constants.

b.)Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field B_M created at point M by both wires.
    *Express your answer in terms of I, d, and appropriate constants.

2. Relevant equations

189576A.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the B1L created by wire 1 by point 1 only.
    so I thought since they have the same current and distance, they will have the same magnitude, so I just add them. But I got it wrong.
    one of the hint says "find the direction of B"
    I am confused how to find the direction for wire 1 and 2 at point M.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Well, let's take it one step at a time. First, pretend wire 2 doesn't exist, and find the magnetic field (magnitude and direction) produced by wire 1 at point M. Do you know how to start doing that? (Hint: use the right-hand rule for the direction)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook