Magnetic field inside square conductor

Expert SummarizerIn summary, the individual is trying to find the magnetic field at any point inside a square conductor with side length m. They have come up with an equation for the magnetic field at the center of the square, but they need help finding the magnetic field at any point (x,y) inside the loop. The expert suggests using the Biot-Savart Law, which involves breaking the loop into smaller segments and integrating over each segment to find the total magnetic field at the point of interest.
Endurance
Hello everybody,

I got a small question and was wondering if somebody could help me with that.

Problem:

I have a square conductor with side length m. I am now trying to figure out what the magnetic field B is at any point inside that square.

Here is what I've come up with so far and I think I am pretty close:

The magnetic field at the center is B=(4*u_0*I)/4pi*a)*(cos(pi/4)-cos(3pi/4))

where a=m/2 and u_0= the permeability of free space

But how could I change this now to give me the B field for any point x,y inside that loop?

Thanks,
Endurance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Endurance,

Thank you for your question. The equation you have come up with for the magnetic field at the center of the square conductor is correct. However, to find the magnetic field at any point (x,y) inside the loop, you will need to use the Biot-Savart Law, which is given by:

B = (u_0 * I)/(4 * pi) * ∫(dL x r)/r^3

where u_0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dL is the differential length element along the current, r is the distance from the current to the point of interest, and the integral is taken over the entire current-carrying loop.

To use this equation for your square conductor, you will need to divide the loop into smaller segments and integrate over each segment to find the total magnetic field at the point (x,y). This integral can be solved numerically using a computer program or by hand using calculus techniques.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a magnetic field inside a square conductor?

A magnetic field inside a square conductor refers to the magnetic force or influence that is present within the boundaries of a square-shaped conductor, such as a wire or coil of wire. This magnetic field is created by the movement of electric charges, and its strength and direction can be affected by various factors, such as the shape and size of the conductor, the current flowing through it, and the presence of nearby magnetic materials.

2. How is the magnetic field inside a square conductor measured?

The magnetic field inside a square conductor can be measured using a device called a gaussmeter, which detects and measures the strength and direction of magnetic fields. This measurement is typically given in units of gauss or tesla, and it can vary depending on the location and orientation within the conductor.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field inside a square conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a square conductor can be affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the conductor, the distance from the conductor, the shape and size of the conductor, and the presence of nearby magnetic materials. Additionally, the type of material used for the conductor can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the direction of the current impact the magnetic field inside a square conductor?

The direction of the current flowing through a square conductor can impact the direction of the magnetic field inside it. According to the right-hand rule, the magnetic field lines will form a circular pattern around the conductor in the direction of the current. This means that the direction of the current will determine the direction of the magnetic field inside the square conductor.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field inside a square conductor?

The magnetic field inside a square conductor has various practical applications, such as in motors and generators, where the movement of the magnetic field is used to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in magnetic sensors, such as compasses and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, to detect and measure the magnetic fields created by different objects and materials.