Magnetic field lines directed?

In summary, it is possible to direct or confine field lines to be shaped like a laser, but it may require a very powerful magnet.
cn_2149
Is it possible to direct or confine field lines to be shaped like a laser? I know there are magnets such as neodymium cones that direct field lines through the tip but they don't seem to have the amount of pull as I'm looking for. If there isn't, is there anyway to amplify the power? Maybe align multiple cones in a certain pattern so as to concentrate all of the lines to a point?

p.s. I'm a sophomore in AP Physics 1 and we have yet to go over magnetism. My apologies if I sound really dumb!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish? Technically, a very long solenoid has parallel field lines within it and near the ends.

To put it bluntly, I want to create a very powerful magnet that will direct most, if not all, of the field lines to a point. Like a laser. Could wrapping a solenoid around a cone help amplify the pull of the magnet? Also, how would the electric field affect the magnet? Thanks for the reply!

cn_2149 said:
To put it bluntly, I want to create a very powerful magnet that will direct most, if not all, of the field lines to a point.
If you have two cone shaped magnets with opposite magnetization, then it is possible to concentrate the field near a point as in the image below.
vOGyu.jpg

I suppose a strong field could be created using two large solenoids with an iron core which has a pointed edge on one side.

The problem is that I have no idea how strong of a magnetic field you need since I don't know what this is for. Getting a field strength of even half a Tesla will likely require a magnet the size of a refrigerator.

Attachments

• vOGyu.jpg
    vOGyu.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,642
NFuller said:
If you have two cone shaped magnets with opposite magnetization, then it is possible to concentrate the field near a point as in the image below.
View attachment 219084
I suppose a strong field could be created using two large solenoids with an iron core which has a pointed edge on one side.

The problem is that I have no idea how strong of a magnetic field you need since I don't know what this is for. Getting a field strength of even half a Tesla will likely require a magnet the size of a refrigerator.
Geez. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to try some stuff out!

1. What are magnetic field lines directed?

Magnetic field lines directed refers to the direction in which the magnetic field lines emanate from a magnetic source or object. They follow the direction of the magnetic force and are used to illustrate the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. How are magnetic field lines directed determined?

Magnetic field lines directed are determined by using a compass to trace the direction of the magnetic field at different points around a magnetic source. The lines are then drawn to connect these points, creating a visual representation of the magnetic field.

3. What does the direction of magnetic field lines indicate?

The direction of magnetic field lines indicates the direction in which a magnetic force would act on a magnetic object or charged particle. Like poles repel each other, so field lines directed away from a source indicate a repulsive force, while opposite poles attract, causing field lines to be directed towards each other.

4. Can the direction of magnetic field lines change?

Yes, the direction of magnetic field lines can change. They are affected by the presence of other magnetic fields, which can cause them to shift or bend. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed by changing the direction of the electric current flowing through a wire or coil.

5. How are magnetic field lines directed used in science and technology?

Magnetic field lines directed have many practical applications in science and technology. They are used to understand and manipulate electromagnetic fields, which are essential for modern technologies such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in navigation, as magnetic field lines can be used to determine direction with a compass.