Magnetic field lines directed?

• B
  • Thread starter cn_2149
  • Start date
Is it possible to direct or confine field lines to be shaped like a laser? I know there are magnets such as neodymium cones that direct field lines through the tip but they don't seem to have the amount of pull as I'm looking for. If there isn't, is there anyway to amplify the power? Maybe align multiple cones in a certain pattern so as to concentrate all of the lines to a point?

p.s. I'm a sophomore in AP Physics 1 and we have yet to go over magnetism. My apologies if I sound really dumb!

Answers and Replies

Can you be more specific about what you are trying to accomplish? Technically, a very long solenoid has parallel field lines within it and near the ends.

To put it bluntly, I want to create a very powerful magnet that will direct most, if not all, of the field lines to a point. Like a laser. Could wrapping a solenoid around a cone help amplify the pull of the magnet? Also, how would the electric field affect the magnet? Thanks for the reply!

To put it bluntly, I want to create a very powerful magnet that will direct most, if not all, of the field lines to a point.
If you have two cone shaped magnets with opposite magnetization, then it is possible to concentrate the field near a point as in the image below.
vOGyu.jpg

I suppose a strong field could be created using two large solenoids with an iron core which has a pointed edge on one side.

The problem is that I have no idea how strong of a magnetic field you need since I don't know what this is for. Getting a field strength of even half a Tesla will likely require a magnet the size of a refrigerator.

Attachments

If you have two cone shaped magnets with opposite magnetization, then it is possible to concentrate the field near a point as in the image below.
View attachment 219084
I suppose a strong field could be created using two large solenoids with an iron core which has a pointed edge on one side.

The problem is that I have no idea how strong of a magnetic field you need since I don't know what this is for. Getting a field strength of even half a Tesla will likely require a magnet the size of a refrigerator.
Geez. Thanks for the help, I guess I'll have to try some stuff out!