1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Magnetic field of a circular electromagnet?

1. May 13, 2018 #1
    I know that the poles of an electromagnet that is straight is at the ends but what if the metal core is an iron ring?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2018 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Then you have a circular magnetic field. This is called a toroid magnet, and you'll find it in various particle detectors, fusion reactors and probably a couple of other places.

4. May 14, 2018 #3
    Would the poles be perpendicular to the ring's plane?

5. May 14, 2018 #4

mfb

2017 Award

There are no magnet poles in this case.

6. May 14, 2018 #5

jtbell

Hints: what does it mean for part of a magnet or electromagnet to be a "pole"? Does that condition hold for any part of a toroid?

7. May 15, 2018 #6
    It would mean that it could attract/repel other magnets right?

Would such a toroid electromagnet be able to repel or attract though? I had this idea of where I could make two of these toroid electromagnets repel and attract each other perpendicular to their plane, if that's possible.

8. May 15, 2018 #7

mfb

2017 Award

Outside you have a bit of stray field, which can lead to a weak force. Inside the field is quite homogeneous, so you don't have a net force. You can have torque - the magnet trying to align itself with the magnetic field.

9. May 15, 2018 #8

jtbell

And what is it about the magnetic field configuration (near the poles) that causes it to attract/repel other magnets? To keep things simple, suppose the "other magnets" are small (in physical size) compared to the magnet in question.

Also, by "attract" I don't mean just that the "other magnets" rotate to align themselves with the field. I mean that there is a net force which attracts them to or repels them from the magnet in question.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted