1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field of a cylinder

1. May 31, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An infinitely long cylinder, of radius R, carries a "frozen-in" magnetization. parallel to the axis, [itex] M = ks\hat{z} [/itex] where k is a constant and s is the distance from the axis; there is no free current anywhere. Find the magnetic field inside and outside the cylinder

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] J_{b} = \nabla \times M [/tex]
    [tex] K_{b} = M\times \hat{n} [/tex]
    [tex] \oint B \cdot dl = \mu_{0} I_{enc} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Here [tex] J_{b} = -k\hat{\phi} [/tex]
    and [tex] K_{b} = kR \hat{\phi} [/tex]

so the field inside s<R
    [tex] B \cdot 2\pi s = \mu_{0} \int J_{b} da = \mu_{0} \int -k s'ds' d\phi' [/tex]
    so i get [tex] B = -\mu_{0} ks \hat{z} [/tex]
    but the answer is supposed to be positive...
    why is that? Am i supposed to include the surface current density to find the field? But for a question in the past (for a cylinder with magnetization [itex] M = ks^2 \hat{\phi} [/itex].. however that time the enclosed current in the enitre (s>R) cylinder was zero - there was symmetry between the two surface currents. The amperian loop was a circlular loop within the cylinder...

Is this question to be solved differently because there is no symmtery between the surface and volume current densities?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?