What is the contribution of magnetic fields from individual loops in a solenoid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around the equation for a long solenoid. The usual derivation involves considering a rectangular loop enclosing N currents over the length L, resulting in B=μNI/L according to Ampere's law. However, there is a question about not also considering the magnetic field contribution from the x's in the loop, which would result in B=2μNI/L. The conversation also compares this to Gauss's Law for charges and how the fields must be added together. Eventually, it is realized that only one wire is involved in the solenoid, so adding the same magnetic field multiple times is not necessary. This explains the N factor in the equation.
OperationalAmp
I'm a bit confused with the equation for a long solenoid. The usual derivation has us consider a rectangular loop enclosing N number of currents over the length L through it. So by Ampere's law one gets B=μNI/L.

The currents and the loop look like this right?
---------
| . . . . |
---------
x x x x

However, why doesn't one also consider the magnetic field contribution from the x's also? So that the sum will be B=2μNI/L? In fact one can find an infinite number of these loops each giving B and the magnetic field will sum to infinity. Which clearly is nonsense.

It's like Gauss's Law for charges, I have +q and -q separated symmetrically. I ask what's the magnitude of the electric field at a distance r from both charges. I enclose each with a Gaussian surface and I find the field from each of them +q/r² and -(-q/r²); the double negatives to take direction into consideration. Later I also have to add the fields together to get 2q/r², and not say q/r² is what's actually there just from taking one Gaussian surface.

I hope someone can enlighten me. Thank you! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have realized what was my problem. I simply misunderstood Ampere's law. You see Ampere's law is going to give a magnetic field associated to a current flowing in one wire. And in the solenoid, it is one wire! So it is nonsense to sum the same magnetic field many times over. Only when there are two currents in separate wire do we add their magnetic fields. In the case of the solenoid, the approximation was that each wire winding are not connected to one another, thus explaining the factor N. So at the end of the day, one do not add magnetic fields arising from the current in the same wire.

Problem solved!

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is used to generate a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How is the magnetic field of a solenoid calculated?

The magnetic field of a solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * n * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field of a solenoid depend on the direction of the current?

The direction of the magnetic field of a solenoid is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the fingers of your right hand when wrapped around the solenoid, the magnetic field will be in the direction of your thumb.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field of a solenoid is affected by the number of turns of wire in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the solenoid's core (if present).

5. How is the magnetic field inside and outside of a solenoid different?

Inside the solenoid, the magnetic field is strong and uniform, while outside the solenoid, the magnetic field is weaker and less uniform. This is due to the magnetic field lines being concentrated within the coil, and spreading out as they move away from the solenoid.