Magnetic field of straight wire, charges travels at relativistic speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the magnetic field of a straight wire and the speed at which charges are moving. It is confirmed that the magnetic field remains the same regardless of the speed of the charges, as the extra relativistic factor cancels out when integrating. The formula for the magnetic field is also shown to be invariant under a Lorentz transform, and it is noted that Coulomb's Law and special relativity alone can derive Maxwell's equations.
nos
Hi there,

Is it true that the magnetic field of a straight wire is the same when the charges are moving at low speeds (v <<c) as when they are moving at relativistic speeds (v~c). The extra relativistic factor the magnetic field gets from the moving charges cancels upon integrating. According to my calculation, magnetic field has the same value, relativity or not.

I could provide you with my calculation if needed ;)

I presumably expected a different value.

Thanks, nos

Physics news on Phys.org
If they're moving faster then the current density is higher so the magnetic field will be stronger.

Ah I see now. Of course, the formula for B-field stays the same, but the current for slowly particles is lower than current produced by fast particles, thus a different value for B-field.

Actually my question should have been: Is it true that the formula stays the same taking relativity into account.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Yes.

The general form of your question is: "are Maxwell's equations invariant under a Lorentz transform?", to which the answer is yes. This fact is very interesting, as well as very historically relevant as Maxwell's equations predate Einstin's formulation of special relativity; they were a major factor in the formulation of special relativity in the first place.

1. What is the magnetic field of a straight wire?

The magnetic field of a straight wire can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. How does the magnetic field change when charges travel at relativistic speeds?

When charges travel at relativistic speeds, the magnetic field can be affected by the Lorentz transformation. This results in a distortion of the magnetic field lines, as well as an increase in the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a straight wire?

The direction of the magnetic field around a straight wire is given by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, then your fingers will wrap around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic field of a straight wire be altered?

Yes, the magnetic field of a straight wire can be altered by changing the current flowing through the wire or by changing the distance from the wire. The magnetic field can also be affected by the presence of nearby magnetic materials.

5. How is the magnetic field of a straight wire related to electricity?

The magnetic field of a straight wire is closely related to electricity through the phenomenon of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field, and changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This relationship is the basis for many technological applications, such as generators and motors.