Magnetic Field Strength

• Thread starter Cici2017
  • Start date
Cici2017

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.04.03 am.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Shouldn't they be the same? Does one being above the current and the other being below make any difference? I know when there is a higher density of magnetic field lines, the magnetic field strength is greater, but in this case, isn't it the same?
I'm so confused , please help~

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
I think you need to explain more about the scenario. What is the import of the (d) that is mentioned? What is the significance of the two truncated rectangles at wither side of the image? Is there a pre-existing magnetic field involved that you haven't mentioned? Please state the original question in its entirety.

Cici2017
I think you need to explain more about the scenario. What is the import of the (d) that is mentioned? What is the significance of the two truncated rectangles at wither side of the image? Is there a pre-existing magnetic field involved that you haven't mentioned? Please state the original question in its entirety.
Oh Yes, Sorry~

Cici2017
Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 10.17.24 am.png

gneill
Mentor
Okay, so there is an existing field due to the magnets represented by the rectangles. Sketch in the pre-existing field and then the field due to the current. Where do they reinforce and where do they oppose? You'll probably want to use the right and rule for the magnetic field due to a current :wink:

Cici2017
Okay, so there is an existing field due to the magnets represented by the rectangles. Sketch in the pre-existing field and then the field due to the current. Where do they reinforce and where do they oppose? You'll probably want to use the right and rule for the magnetic field due to a current :wink:
So the pre-existing magnetic field is from right to left (N to S) , and then the field due to the current is clockwise...how do I determine where they reinforce?

gneill
Mentor
So the pre-existing magnetic field is from right to left (N to S) , and then the field due to the current is clockwise...how do I determine where they reinforce?
Sketch the vectors!