1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic Field Strength

1. Jul 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 9.04.03 am.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Shouldn't they be the same? Does one being above the current and the other being below make any difference? I know when there is a higher density of magnetic field lines, the magnetic field strength is greater, but in this case, isn't it the same?
    I'm so confused , please help~

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you need to explain more about the scenario. What is the import of the (d) that is mentioned? What is the significance of the two truncated rectangles at wither side of the image? Is there a pre-existing magnetic field involved that you haven't mentioned? Please state the original question in its entirety.

4. Jul 21, 2017 #3
    Oh Yes, Sorry~

5. Jul 21, 2017 #4
  6. Jul 21, 2017 #5

gneill

Okay, so there is an existing field due to the magnets represented by the rectangles. Sketch in the pre-existing field and then the field due to the current. Where do they reinforce and where do they oppose? You'll probably want to use the right and rule for the magnetic field due to a current :wink:

7. Jul 21, 2017 #6
    So the pre-existing magnetic field is from right to left (N to S) , and then the field due to the current is clockwise...how do I determine where they reinforce?

8. Jul 21, 2017 #7

gneill

Sketch the vectors!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted