Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction? - Repost

In summary, Magnetic Fields, when compared with conventional physics theory, seem to contradict themselves. Is one of my sources flawed? Is this simply due to fact that one rule is for motors and one for generators? Is there some context I haven't considered?
magnetismman
I've been thinking about Magnetic Fields, and I think that I've found a contradiction in conventional physics theory.

While comparing the Left-Hand-Rule for Motors (LHR) and the Right-Hand-Rule for Generators (RHR), I found this contradiction:

The Left-Hand-Rule states that if the Magnetic Field (B) is on the y-axis, and the Velocity of a Current (I) is on the x-axis; Then the Force acts in the z-axis up. This uses a negative charge (an electron).

The Right-Hand-Rule states that if the Magnetic Field (B) is on the y-axis, and the Velocity of a Test Charge (v) is on the x-axis; Then the Force acts in the z-axis up. This uses a positive charge.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68407&d=1396915312

Put another way, if both use a negative-charge as an example:
The Left-Hand-Rule states the electron moving along the x-axis would have a Force-Up.
The Right-Hand-Rule states the electron moving along the x-axis would have a Force-Down (Due to the negative-charge).

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68408&d=1396915312

Can anyone tell me why equal charges, with equal directions, would have opposite forces?

Is one of my sources flawed? Is this simply due to fact that one rule is for motors and one for generators? Is there some context I haven't considered?

Sources:
Wikipedia - 'Fleming's left-hand rule for motors'
Cutnell & Johnson – Physics – Sixth Edition – ISBN 0-471-15183-1 (page 624)

Thank you for your advice, and I'll be glad if anyone can explain this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
magnetismman said:
The Left-Hand-Rule states that if the Magnetic Field (B) is on the y-axis, and the Velocity of a Current (I) is on the x-axis; Then the Force acts in the z-axis up. This uses a negative charge (an electron).

Where do you get that this uses a negative charge?

Sources:
Wikipedia - 'Fleming's left-hand rule for motors'

On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleming's_left-hand_rule_for_motors I see in the section "Conventions":

The direction of the electric current is that of conventional current: from positive to negative.

That is, the charge-carriers are assumed to be positively charged.

jtbell said:
That is, the charge-carriers are assumed to be positively charged.

Thank you for the response. So, am I to understand that even thought 'I' delivers a negative charge, it is defined by the positive-potential that attracts that negative-charge? ...or am I incorrect in my concept of 'I'? Thanks again.

The magnetic force exerted on a positive charge moving in the +x direction is the same as on a negative charge moving in the -x direction. Likewise the magnetic field produced by a current of positive charges moving in the +x direction is the same as for a current of negative charges moving in the -x direction.

For historical reasons, when we talk about the direction of electric current, we generally mean the direction of positive-charge flow that would produce that current, even though we know it's really a flow of negative charges in the opposite direction.

jtbell said:
For historical reasons, when we talk about the direction of electric current, we generally mean the direction of positive-charge flow that would produce that current, even though we know it's really a flow of negative charges in the opposite direction.

Thanks again. That makes a lot more sense now. This graphic might sum it up well for others reading the post:

500px-Current_notation.svg.png

I appreciate the advice.

Answer after Confusion

Since an Electrical Current is a Positive-Flow,
the two rules are equivalent:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68445&stc=1&d=1396990991.jpg

Attachments

• ANSWER.jpg
    ANSWER.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,562

1. What is the basis of the Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction?

The Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction is based on the fact that there are two different theories that explain the behavior of magnetic fields: the classical theory and the quantum theory. These two theories have different predictions and explanations for the same phenomena, leading to a contradiction.

2. How do the classical and quantum theories differ in their explanation of magnetic fields?

The classical theory, also known as the Maxwell's equations, describes the behavior of magnetic fields in terms of continuous fields and uses deterministic equations. On the other hand, the quantum theory, or the quantum mechanics, explains magnetic fields in terms of discrete particles and uses probabilistic equations.

3. What are some examples of the contradictions between the two theories in terms of magnetic fields?

One of the main contradictions between the classical and quantum theories is the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field. In the classical theory, the electrons would follow a predictable circular path, while in the quantum theory, the electrons would have a probability of being in different positions at the same time.

Another contradiction is the concept of spin. In the classical theory, spin is seen as a property of a rotating object, while in the quantum theory, spin is an intrinsic property of particles and cannot be explained in terms of classical mechanics.

4. How does the Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction affect our understanding of magnetic fields?

The Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction challenges our current understanding of magnetic fields and highlights the limitations of both the classical and quantum theories. It also shows the need for a unified theory that can explain the behavior of magnetic fields at both the classical and quantum levels.

5. How are scientists trying to resolve the Magnetic Field Theory Contradiction?

Scientists are working on developing a unified theory that can reconcile the contradictions between the classical and quantum theories of magnetic fields. Some proposed solutions include string theory, loop quantum gravity, and quantum field theory. However, this remains an ongoing and challenging area of research in theoretical physics.