1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic field vs Electric field

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    Hi all,
    I have to simulate the behavior of a stream of ferrous particles (no electrical charge) that moves axially around a cylindrical permanent magnet. The software I use allows me to set only an electric field. Can i set an electric field equivalent to the magnetic field? I know the magnetic induction, and I know material, size and velocity of particles.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2
    You know the magnetic and electric fields are orthogonal, right??

And both are transverse (orthogonal) to the direction of propagation.

4. Sep 28, 2011 #3
    yes, but this is not regarding my problem
    i would substitute the magnetic field and ferrous particles with an equivalent electric field and charged particles, in order to have the same final effect (i.e. the same attraction force).

5. Sep 28, 2011 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I don't think that is possible in general since the magnetic force depends on the velocity. Unless the software would allow you to make the e-field depend on the velocity.

6. Sep 28, 2011 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's not true. I can have an E field parallel to a B field.

7. Dec 1, 2011 #6
    Hi there all,
    I wanna know something about this equation specially about how we can derive it from the simple ones
    B=vχE/sqr(c)​
    where, v is velocity of the source of E and c is speed of light.

tnx in advance,

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7

clem

Science Advisor

The motion will be the same as that for small particles with induced electric dipole moments in an electric field which is the same as the actual B field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook