Can a magnetic field defy gravity?

In summary, passive magnetic levitation is not possible without external stabilization because of Earnshaw's theorem, which states that a collection of point charges cannot be maintained in a stable stationary equilibrium configuration solely by the electrostatic interaction between them. This applies to magnetic fields as well, making it impossible to have iron fillings hang motionless in air without any external support or stabilization. However, it may be possible to have them attracted upwards and stay on the bottom side of a cardboard with a sufficiently strong magnetic field.
shihab-kol
If I keep iron fillings on a cardboard with a wire carrying current in some direction, I know that the fillings will orient in concentric circles.But what happens if I keep the fillings on the underside of the cardboard? Is it possible to make them hang in the air against gravity with a sufficiently strong magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible. If I think the Magnetic force equals the pull of gravity.

shihab-kol said:
Is it possible to make them hang in the air against gravity with a sufficiently strong magnetic field?

have you not seen those toys that do that ?
America-Carlisleco-magnetic-font-b-levitation-b-font-font-b-pen-b-font-spin-freely-desk.jpg
SKU140192-500x500.png
Dave

shihab-kol said:
If I keep iron fillings on a cardboard with a wire carrying current in some direction, I know that the fillings will orient in concentric circles.But what happens if I keep the fillings on the underside of the cardboard? Is it possible to make them hang in the air against gravity with a sufficiently strong magnetic field?

Copernicus45 said:
Yes, it is possible. If I think the Magnetic force equals the pull of gravity.

It will not be possible to have them hang motionless in air, but it may be possible to have them attracted upwards such that they stay on the bottom side of the cardboard. The former isn't possible because passive magnetic levitation is unstable. Both of the toys shown in Davenn's post require something to stabilize them. I believe the clear plastic screen at the tip of the first toy stabilizes it and keeps it from moving forwards until it falls to the table, and I assume the 2nd toy is spin-stabilized, but I'm not certain.

Video showing a strong magnetic field picking up some rather large "filings"...

Drakkith said:
It will not be possible to have them hang motionless in air, but it may be possible to have them attracted upwards such that they stay on the bottom side of the cardboard. The former isn't possible because passive magnetic levitation is unstable. Both of the toys shown in Davenn's post require something to stabilize them. I believe the clear plastic screen at the tip of the first toy stabilizes it and keeps it from moving forwards until it falls to the table, and I assume the 2nd toy is spin-stabilized, but I'm not certain.
Why is passive magnetic levitation unstable?

What is the difference between magnetic field and gravity?

Magnetic field is a force that acts between two magnets or an electrically charged object and a magnet. It is created by the motion of electric charges. Gravity, on the other hand, is a force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

How are magnetic field and gravity related?

Magnetic fields and gravity are both forces that act on objects. However, they are different in their origins and effects. Gravity is a universal force that exists between all objects with mass, while magnetic fields only exist when there is a moving electric charge. Additionally, gravity is always attractive, while magnetic fields can either attract or repel depending on the orientation of the objects.

Can magnetic field and gravity cancel each other out?

No, magnetic field and gravity cannot cancel each other out. They are two distinct forces that act on objects. While they may both be present at the same time, they do not affect each other's strength or direction.

Which one is stronger, magnetic field or gravity?

Gravity is a much stronger force compared to magnetic fields. For example, the Earth's gravity is strong enough to hold objects and living beings onto its surface, while the Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to do so.

How do magnetic field and gravity affect everyday life?

Magnetic fields and gravity play important roles in our everyday lives. Magnetic fields are used in various technologies, such as MRI machines, speakers, and motors. Gravity keeps us grounded on Earth and allows for the motion of objects in space. Without these two forces, our world would be very different.