Solving the Puzzle: How Does the Magnetic Field Affect Balance?

In summary, the conversation discusses a rectangular coil of wire hung from a balance and the addition of mass to balance the weight of the coil. The question involves determining the additional mass needed to balance the coil when a magnetic field and current are added. The conversation also addresses the confusion regarding the net force and torque caused by the magnetic field. It is concluded that the question was poorly written and did not specify that the magnetic field was only around the bottom part of the coil.
caljuice
Well I have the answer already, just don't understand it.

A rectangular coil of wire is hung from one arm of a balance, as my beautiful diagram will show. With the magnetic turned off, a Mass M is added to the pan on the other arm to balance the weight of the coil. When a constant magnetic field is turn on and there is a currentr of 8.50 A in the coil, how much additional mass m must be added to regain the balance? The magnetic field is also going into the page. Forgot to draw the X's.
Image: http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6318/balanaceyd8.th.jpg

Because of the magnetic field, the bottom length of the coil exerts a downward force but why is there a net force downwards, causing the torque? Shouldn't the upwards force from the magnetic field at the top of the rectangular coil cancel it out? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you, the upward and downward forces would surely cancel out. Not to say that you diagram isn't excellent, but all I can think is that perhaps there is some small extra detail that we're missing here. Is the magnetic field distributed evenly throughout the entire diagram, for example, or is it localised?

Ah yes. It was only a Mfield around the bottom part, since the question didnt mention that i assumed it was for the whole diagram and they just got lazy. But that makes much more sense, my bad.

Nah, there was nothing wrong with your understanding, you were just faced with a poorly written question.

1. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect balance?

The Earth's magnetic field plays a crucial role in maintaining balance in living organisms. It provides a sense of direction and orientation, allowing animals and humans to navigate and maintain their balance while moving.

2. Can a person's balance be affected by changes in the magnetic field?

Yes, changes in the magnetic field can affect a person's balance. This is because our balance is closely linked to our inner ear, which contains tiny crystals that are sensitive to changes in the magnetic field. When there is a significant change in the magnetic field, it can cause these crystals to move, leading to dizziness and loss of balance.

3. Are there any studies that have looked into the relationship between the magnetic field and balance?

Yes, there have been numerous studies conducted on the effects of the magnetic field on balance. These studies have shown a strong correlation between changes in the magnetic field and balance disturbances in humans and animals.

4. Can wearing magnetic bracelets improve balance?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that wearing magnetic bracelets can improve balance. While some people report feeling more balanced while wearing these bracelets, it is likely due to a placebo effect rather than any actual influence of the magnetic field on balance.

5. Is there any practical application of understanding the relationship between the magnetic field and balance?

Yes, understanding how the magnetic field affects balance can have practical applications in areas such as sports performance and the treatment of balance disorders. It can also aid in the development of technologies that use magnetic fields for balance correction and navigation.