Magnetic Fields from Current Carrying Wires

In summary, there is a universal formula for finding the magnetic vector potential in magnetostatics, given the current density. To find the magnetic field, one can take the curl of the potential. This can be applied to different scenarios, including shorter wire segments, using the Biot-Savart law.
gibberingmouther
I've had a lot of problems that involve a segment of current carrying wire, for example when you have a square loop of wire.

I have a formula for "long" wires that is B = μ0 * I/(2 * π * d).

Can I use this for shorter wire segments, and if not, what formula can I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on where you want to find the field relative to the segment.

On edit: See here for a derivation.

Last edited:
Likes gibberingmouther
A universal way to get the magnetic vector potential (##\mathbf{A}##), given the current density (##\mathbf{J}##) in magnetostatics is:

##\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int d^3 r' \frac{\mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r}')}{\left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'\right|}##

Where integration is over the whole space. To get the magnetic field you simply take the curl

##\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=\boldsymbol{\nabla}\times\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r})=-\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int d^3 r' \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r}')\times\boldsymbol{\nabla}\frac{1}{\left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'\right|}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int d^3 r' \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r}')\times\frac{\left(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'\right)}{\left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'\right|^3}##

Now define ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'## and integrate over the corross-section of the wire, assuming the wire is thin (comapred to ##R##). This will convert the volume integral into integral along the wire: ##\int d^3 r' \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{r}')\to\int dl I(l) \mathbf{\hat{l}}## where ##I## is current (i.e. current density over the whole cross-section of the wire) and ##\mathbf{\hat{l}}## is parallel to the wire (along the direction of current flow).

Thus:

##\mathbf{B}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int dl I(l) \boldsymbol{\hat{l}}\times\frac{\mathbf{\hat{R}}}{R^2}##

Now ##\mathbf{R}## points from the section of the wire (at position ##l##) towards the observer. This is the Biot-Savart law. It works in all cases, including shorter wires, your formula its special case.

Likes gibberingmouther, anorlunda and vanhees71

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the field.

2. How are magnetic fields created by current carrying wires?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current, following the right-hand rule. The strength of the magnetic field increases as the current increases and decreases as the distance from the wire increases.

3. What is the relationship between current and magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field created by a current carrying wire is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases. Similarly, if the current decreases, the magnetic field strength will also decrease.

4. How does the distance from a wire affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the magnetic field from a wire is strongest closest to the wire and decreases as it spreads out over a larger area. The relationship between distance and magnetic field strength follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

5. Can magnetic fields from current carrying wires be shielded?

Yes, magnetic fields from current carrying wires can be shielded by using materials that are highly permeable to magnetic fields, such as iron. These materials can redirect or absorb the magnetic field, reducing its strength. However, it is important to note that complete shielding is difficult to achieve and the strength of the magnetic field can still be detected outside of the shielded area.