Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic flux pinning sometimes there and sometimes not.

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    Hello. As far as I know about superconductors, if you put a superconducting material in a magnetic field and then cool that material below its critical temperature, the material should lock to that magnetic field (magnetic flux pinning). Now I have seen videos where the locked magnet/material is pushed away but it bounces back to its locked state (like here ).

Now there is another video where the material gets pushed away and re-locks in a different position (). My question is, why in the latter video the superconducting disc did not stay in its original position and allowed itself to be locked in a new one numerous times? I apologize for the mistakes I made in terminology and English.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The flux pinning occurs along defects, impurties etc. where the flux "sticks"; if you apply enough force you can move the flux (i.e. the vortices) around and then it will stick in a new configuration.
    It is also possible to have multiple stable configurations.

Am "ideal" type II superconductor made from a perfect crystal would behave differently.

4. Oct 23, 2013 #3
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook